• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for DM tools.

Dire Lemming

First Post
Hi, I'm kind of a newbie at DMing and I've been having allot of trouble keeping track of everything in my PbP game. Does anyone know of any good free tools that could help? Specifically in organizing things like stats and descriptions for NPCs and locations?

Thanks.

Dire Lemming

First Post
Thanks. I'll take a look at those now.

Anyone else know of any others? Preferably free or at least cheap.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
NPC Designer is a tool I rely heavily on for my 3.5 campaign. The Gold version is a mere $15, an incredible bargain. If you're not running a high level campaign, the silver version is a mere $11. Best money I have spent in gaming in the last few years.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've known a few DM tools in my day... ;)

I don't use any special tools or programs, really. I use the KISS method- no, not kabuki makeup, pyrotechnics and 8" platform heels- Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Really, sometimes its hard to beat the efficiency of a simple notebook with tabs or a box of file cards. File cards especially since they're easy to rearrange or even photocopy for sending to your players.

OTOH, I currently use my PDA as my main RPG organizational tool...bunches and bunches of little data files...and send out frequent emails to my players. I also have a scanning printer if I want to digitize some of my physical stuff into electronic formats for dissemination.

Grymar

Explorer
Assuming you will have internet connection during the game, try pbwiki (pbwiki.com) and build a site for your campaign. You can then build links between encounters, upload images...I find it to be a great tool. Now it doesn't do things like rolling, but it is quite useful.

Remove ads