D&D 5E looking for race

demonreign

First Post
in my campaign were starting out at level six so I have some leeway, and I was wondering what would the worst possible race and background be for a barbarian totem warrior multiclass with shadow magic sorcerer be? I'm looking to play something hilarious but is somehow good by being god awful.

5e was pretty damned forgiving for suboptimal race-class combos even before Tasha's permitted switching ability score boosts around and swapping out duplicate proficiencies. These days the only intrinsically "god awful" combination is a race with special abilities that don't fit the playstyle of the character (ex: Half Orc's bonus critical damage on melee attacks for a character who never makes melee attacks), things that don't stack (Goblin for a Rogue since they already get some of the Rogue cunning action abilities) and can't be swapped out, or races with an actual handicap of some sort (ie: Grung needing to be submerged in water every day). And in none of these examples does the character become "bad" on the whole, they just have a wasted ability or some sort of extra handicap.

I would say your worst (but in a potentially amusing way) choice here is a Kobold. They have sunlight sensitivity, you don't benefit from their darkvision because you are a Shadow Sorcerer anyway, they are small so they can't use a lot of the weapons a barbarian otherwise could, and one of their abilities is to "cower pathetically to distract nearby foes". But, the cowering ability as actually mechanically pretty good, and they get advantage whenever an ally is next to their enemy.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
one of their abilities is to "cower pathetically to distract nearby foes". But, the cowering ability as actually mechanically pretty good, and they get advantage whenever an ally is next to their enemy.
I'd just take that and rename it "Warren Fighter", and describe it as a sort of group oriented, inverted, version of the Pact Tactics ability. You're making an opening for your allies to swarm and take down a threat.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'd just take that and rename it "Warren Fighter", and describe it as a sort of group oriented, inverted, version of the Pact Tactics ability. You're making an opening for your allies to swarm and take down a threat.
Or make a dent in several threats: IIRC, Grovel Cower and Beg grants its Advantage in a burst / aura. (Unfortunately, you are in the way standing in the middle of it, waiting to be clobbered.)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Or make a dent in several threats: IIRC, Grovel Cower and Beg grants its Advantage in a burst / aura. (Unfortunately, you are in the way standing in the middle of it, waiting to be clobbered.)
Which sort of belies the supposed cowardice of kobolds.

Barbarian Sage who goes into a rage when people show ignorance about things that they should already know.
You mean he's the guy from this meme.

508.jpg

Remove ads