Looking for recommendations for a new TV!

Janx

Hero
Do they unbox it & power it up before you accept delivery?

How do you like Vizio? They've got a 55'' 2014 model that's slightly more than half the price of the Samsung I'm considering. I've tried to see one in person, but the stores I've been to don't have that size (42'' and 65'' seem to be popular sizes).

On the delivery part, possibly, if I had signed up for setup. Not sure if setup is free, but as an IT person with a zillion doo-hickeys hooked up to the old one, and a new TV stand I was building in the garage, I opted for just the delivery so I could do the setup myself.

Either way, WorstBuy has a return policy, including them picking it back up so I wouldn't have to.

As for the Vizio itself, the speakers were a bit weaker, the wife complained about that, so we bought a Sony soundbar for about $150 that works great. I though the originals sounded fine, but I've lost a lot of hearing in one ear, so what do I know...

Picture is excellent. Looks a zillion times better than my Sony Wega 42" I had bought in 2005 that was finally having problems.

I have a 32" Samsung in the bedroom I've had for a good number of years (from when 1080p at 32" cost $1000 and that was a deal). My picture clarity on the new screen is way better than that even. We can see detail we didn't notice on the smaller TV, even though the pixels are all there.

nerfherder

Explorer
Plasma TVs "leak" and break down after about 3-5 years.
No they don't, and no they don't.

They do use a lot more power than LCD/LED, aren't as bright, and not many manufacturers make them any more. Which is a real shame if you are into home theatre and want to watch the best picture quality in a room that isn't brightly lit, but don't want a projector.

Remove ads