• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for RPG Combat Tool

Flyspeck23

First Post
I'm searching for a "quick'n'dirty" combat simulator software to help me in a PBM game (where combat isn't the focus, but might happen). Here's what I'm looking for:

* Non-tactical (I don't care for movement, AoO, and such)
* Manage and save stats for multiple characters/opponents
* D&D stats or system neutral (with basic stats like attack, defense, etc.)
* Combatants might have special abilities (like feats...)
* The software should run the fight automatically (one click > result)
* It should detail all actions (miss, hit, damage, etc.) it generated

I'd be grateful for any hints and advice. And don't worry if the program/exel document/whatever isn't a perfect match - I'm pretty certain that there's no program that fits the bill 100%.

Note that I'm not necessarily looking for a free program, though that would be preferred ;)

Thanee

First Post
Take EL of side one and EL of side two. The side with the higher EL wins.
The winner side takes EL-loser * 100 / EL-winner in percent of total hit points as damage each.

Doesn't even need a program! ;)

Bye
Thanee

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
The software should run the fight automatically (one click > result)

That sounds fairly difficult if not impossible. How does the program know whether a spellcaster wants to use a spell or not (should the cleric cast Bull Str first, or just wade right in?). How does it know the bard is delaying to tumble in and heal the fighter vs. using bardic music? How can the program realize that the wizard cast wall of force splitting off some of the combatants?

If you drop that requirement, then most of the combat programs out there can do this for you - mine, DM's Familiar, does. You just have to step through the actions of the comatants.

Remove ads