Looking for something to read

I have read Neverwhere by Gaimen, The Bakers boy trilogy by JV Jones, the Tad Williams trilogy, and was reading the sword of truth series by Goodkind. I haven't bought the last book and I'm not sure if I want to.

My old Dm has sorta of soured me on Mercades Lackey. He loved the books and thus all of the main characters where in our campaign, Tannim, his dragon buddy, the evil elves of the books and Herald. Herald's "fame" in the camp that he ran was an irritant to a player. We finished a story line at the end of 2e and were going to convert to 3e. The Wizard/Cleric was suppose to be the discoverer of "new magic" and thus be famous and have a place in the world, oops DM read about Herald now he's got that spot.

Other wise there are some great suggestions. I was thinking about the Black company series. A friend just picked up the Green Ronin setting and it looked cool.

Saime

First Post
Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell, Bloomsbury.
- A very good example of literary fantasy. A great book, but quite different from normal fantasy and not always easy to read.

Ted Chiang, Stories of Your Life, and Others, Tor/Tom Doherty Associates.
- A collection of very good short stories.

Ursula K Le Guin, The Earthsea Trilogy, Bantam.
- This is a classic. If you haven’t read it, do it now.

Jeff Wheeler, Landmoor and Silverkin.
- Regular fantasy but entertaining and well written.

Gene Wolfe, The Book of the New Sun, Orb/Tor.
- Not an easy read but very rewarding

Dakkareth

First Post
I might have overlooked it in this thread so far, but ...

Roger Zelazny's Amber books are also a classic and much recommended.

And of course I have to second Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen as I can't miss an opportunity to spread the word ;)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Simon Brown's Keys to Power have been a good read for me, then Christohpher Rowley's Bazil and Relkin are also a fun read, Zelazany's Lord of light is fantastic,.

shadowlight

First Post
Dakkareth said:
I might have overlooked it in this thread so far, but ...

Roger Zelazny's Amber books are also a classic and much recommended.

And of course I have to second Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen as I can't miss an opportunity to spread the word ;)
Here Here!!

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Another untraditional fantasy that you might like is Orson Scott Card's "The Tales of Alvin Maker" there are seven of them, plus short stories found in the Legends 1 and 2 collections. Basically an alternate world history set in the 1800's where folk magic is REAL.

Some historical fiction that borders on fantasy: Bernard Cornwell's Warlord trilogy i s an interesting look at the Arthurian legend. His "Grail Quest" trilogy (The Archer's Tale, Vagabond, and Heretic) is neat, well, Grail Quest story, complete with a cool adventuring party!

Maerdwyn

First Post
If you'd consider branching out into historical fiction with mythic overtones, I recommend Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy (The Winter king, Enemy of God, and Excalibur). It's a Dark Ages, post-Roman Empire, Arthurian saga that simply rocks :)

Stephen Pressfield's Gates of Fire is also historical fiction, based on the Battle of Thermopylae between the Spartans and the Persians. Amazing.

If you've never read it, I really liked an older book by someone name Preiss (I think) called Dragonworld - generic fantasy title, but not a generic book: very well written, and full of well developed characters.

edit: somehow I didn't see the above post when I wrote. Anyway, that's two votes for Mr. Cornwell. :)

Beowolf

Explorer
You have to check out some of H.P. Lovecraft's works if you like a more cerebral horror
Obviously we have all heard about Lovecraft's links to gaming but he deserves mention here for his great stories. Right now im so hooked on the stuff i have to stop myself from reading it all right away and end up left with nothing for later.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases