D&D 5E Looking for suggestions on next level

Herzog

Adventurer
I'm currently playing a character that has multiclassed like crazy:
Fighter2/Ranger2/Spellthief2/Master2/Barbarian1.
(Note: Master is an Expert-like base class from the Dragonlance War of the Lance sourcebook)
I am finally at the point where I am ready (mechanically) to take my PrC
Unfortunately, I have reached level 10 before the story has progressed to the point where I taking the PrC would be logical.
I am now faced with a difficult decision:
Should I postpone progressing to level 10 until the story takes me to the point where my character would take the PrC level?
My DM has informed me that this may take a while, and has suggested taking another class until he can integrate the PrC story into the campaign.

I am however uncertain what to take.
All of the following options give me hp, skillpoints and a minor saving throw increase. So I can't make my decision based on those (exept for deciding between skillpoints or hitpoints)
Taking another Ranger level would give me Endurance, but I find that a minor boost and it would mean an XP penalty.
Taking another level of Spellthief would give me steal energy resistance, but would also cost me an XP penalty.
Taking another level of Fighter would give me nothing (empty level), no XP penalty (favoured class), but set me up for weapon specialization should I reach lvl 11 before I can take the PrC.
Taking another level of barbarian would give me Uncanny Dodge, but since my dex is 10 that doesn't interest me that much. It would, however, mean that if I reach lvl 11 before I can take the PrC that a ranger, spellthief, master or barbarian level wouldn't get me an XP penalty.
Taking another level of master wouldn't get me anything (empty level) but an xp penalty.

I could add another level of a base class, but browsing through the allowed books (Complete Arcane, Divine, Warrior and Adventurer and Player Handbook) I found either classes I cannot take (alignment is NG) or do not match the character. Also, I already have all the allowed full BaB base classes, and I really would like to avoid taking a hit on BaB.
I also do not want to take a different PrC.

As a bit of a background: I'm using a Spiked Bashing Heavy shield as my primary weapon and a throwing axe as my off hand weapon with the TWF feat. I try to get into flanking position to gain sneak attack damage.

Any suggestions what I should do?

What PrC do you intend to go into? Can you give us more data about your character and plans for it? What PrCs have you looked at that "didn't fit" so that we don't give you those suggestions?

Do realize though that you've kinda shot yourself in the foot with multiclassing that much in a game that forces the XP penalties.

Last edited:

Herzog

Adventurer
The PrC I intend to go into is a homebrew PrC. It combines a full BaB with a special ability that effectively gives you Fabricate once per day, the ability to change a magic weapon (craft a +1 sword using a +1 axe etc.) or magic armor (craft a breastplate +1 using a chainmail +1). Basically a 'crafting' prestige class that allows crafting in a campaign without downtime.

The PC has focussed on both crafting and related skills ( disable device, open locks) and on TWF with shield and axe.

One of the reason's he has so many classes is that I wanted a combination of things that were difficult to obtain using a single or even two classes.
Barbarian (made a bit better by taking Extra Rage) was actually a 'filler' level because I needed at least lvl 9 to get to the PrC.

To be clear, there may be some PrC's that fit the character, but I'm not looking to pick up a PrC, just waiting for the story to progress so I can start with the 'crafting' prc.

Some evaluations of base classes:
-Druid: +: some spells, animal companion. -: character is more of a city type person. not a full BaB class
-Cleric: +: spells, turn undead. -:prC is already somewhat religion focussed. same story related issue, in which case I would take the PrC instead of this class. not a full BaB class
-Sorcerer: +: spells. Familiar -:no armored casting. not a full bab class.
-wizard: int is 8.
-warmage: +: spells, armored casting. -: not a full bab class, character has up to now had 'reservations' about magic users/using magic.
-paladin/monk/hexblade etc: alignment NG
-ninja/shugenja/samurai: doesn't fit setting
-favoured soul:- same as cleric , and we already have one in the party.
-scout: -not a full bab class, and we already have one in the party.
-rogue: -not a full bab class

Am I being hard on myself? probably.
Anyway, hope someone can help me make a decision.

Dwimmerlied

First Post
Sounds like you've already made a pretty strong analysis. Of the classes that you yourself have allowed, Fighter or barbarian seem like the best (or least problematic?) classes. Weapon Spec is nice

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
I'd take another look at Scout from C.Adventurer. Bunch of skills and every time you happen to move 10ft away from your starting position, you get +1d6 dmg. Making that getting into flanking position potentially a little deadlier. Especially if you were allowed to replace Barbarians speed bonus for Pounce.

Remove ads