Lore You Should Know: Ravnica

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Interesting, so Ari Levitch is apparently working for Chris Perkins on the D&D team as a "Narrative Designer" now, not the Magic team.

Last edited:

Kite474

Explorer
Interesting, so Around Levitch is apparently working for Chris Perkins on the D&D team as a "Narrative Designer" now, not the Magic team.

I suppose that makes sense.

The core Magic team is probably busy with Guilds of Ravnica and the books that will be coming out soon

Nope, Ravnica (and by extent other MTG planes) are all self contained. As for afterlife’s no ones really sure but there’s definitely no hells or heavens

Correct me if I have anything wrong: Ravnica is a single large sphereworld, orbited by a Sun and Moon, within a chrystal sphere, stars being affixed to the inside of the sphere (pretty much as per Spelljammer cosmology).

Kite474

Explorer
Correct me if I have anything wrong: Ravnica is a single large sphereworld, orbited by a Sun and Moon, within a chrystal sphere, stars being affixed to the inside of the sphere (pretty much as per Spelljammer cosmology).
Thats pretty much it if you go by D&D cosmology. (which is what the D&D crew seems to be using)

In MtG Ravnica is its own universe (No containing spheres) with its own stars and space and all that. Other planes are just other dimensions

gyor

Legend

Ravnica has two moons and it has it's own plane where Ghosts go, nicked named the Ghost District, although it's at least as big as Ravnica. It was sealed away by the first guild pact from the rest of the MtG multiverse for 10,000 years.

Honestly I am super curious how they fit Ravnica into the D&D universe, because a some spells and magic and other stuff interacts with the D&D, stuff like Banish, Etherealness, Planeshift, Demiplane, Conjure X spells, Summon Lesser Demon, Summon Greater Demon, Planar Ally, Augur, Contact Other Plane, Commune, Horizon Walker, Fiend Pact Warlock, Divine Soul (in some cases), Genasi, Aasimar, Tieflings, Shadar Kai, Eladarin, Gith, Teleportation Circle (can move you between Crystal Sphere worlds with the right code), Mordikein's Magifiscent mansion (creates temp demiplane), and so on.

In fact it would almost be easier to make the D&D Ravnica separate from the MtG Ravnica.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Having listened to the whole thing now, I didn't see much in the way of crunch spoilers, except for the Izzet Arcane Focus magic item. Maybe a casual confirmation of Goblins and Merfolk.

I wonder if we might see some of the XGtE Subclasses that didn't make it, like the Stone Sorcerer....

gyor

Legend
Having listened to the whole thing now, I didn't see much in the way of crunch spoilers, except for the Izzet Arcane Focus magic item. Maybe a casual confirmation of Goblins and Merfolk.

I wonder if we might see some of the XGtE Subclasses that didn't make it, like the Stone Sorcerer....

I didn't think of that, I suppose it's possible.

gyor

Legend
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?&name=Hell's+Caretaker

It appears hell is a thing in MtG. I think what passes for an afterlife depends on the Plane in question.

Theros has an Underworld were souls go, and a Mount Olympus type plane.

Ravnica has the world soul and Agyrm.

Innistrad offer oblivion by returning souls into the Aether, they call it the blessed sleep.

Others it's unclear what kind of after life they have.

Complicating things is the "time stream".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases