• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Loremaster Applicable Knowledge

Hervis

Explorer
In the RSRD the description of Applicable Knowledge on the Loremaster's Secrets taple is "Any One Feat"

Does this mean that the Loremaster can pick any feat, even ones that he/she would not qualify for?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Crothian said:
No, one still has to qualify for the feat to take it.

That's what I'd say, too. Even if you allow a character to take a feat they don't qualify for through this ability, though, they can't use it until they qualify. It doesn't have the "Even if you don't meet the prerequisites" language that, for example, the monk bonus feats have.

Li Shenron

Legend
CRGreathouse said:
That's what I'd say, too.
It doesn't have the "Even if you don't meet the prerequisites" language that, for example, the monk bonus feats have.

I agree, if it doesn't specifically grants you this, you still have to qualify.

Hervis

Explorer
The more I think about this the more I am not completely satisfied with the answers so far

I know it doesn't have the same vernacular (sp?) as the monk feats, but....

It also doesn't have wording similar to the fighters bonus feats

From the RSRD
"A fighter must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus
minimums."

I am really on the fence about this one. Is this a case of "if it doesn't prohibit it must be okay" or is it "It doesn;t allow so it can't be done"?

Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Flyspeck23

First Post
Hervis said:
I am really on the fence about this one. Is this a case of "if it doesn't prohibit it must be okay" or is it "It doesn;t allow so it can't be done"?
The latter. If there aren't rules to "overwrite" existing rules (eg. monk), the old rules apply. And that rule is: you need to meet the prerequisites to gain a specific feat.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Argument 1 (default): You can't take the feat because you don't qualify, and nothing in the rules overrides this requirement.
Argument 2 (loss of ability): If you have a feat you don't qualify for, you can't use it until you qualify again.
Argument 3 (balance): Do you really want to give loremasters Improved Spell Capacity or Improved Metamagic on character level ~10?

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
Argument 1 (default): You can't take the feat because you don't qualify, and nothing in the rules overrides this requirement.
Argument 2 (loss of ability): If you have a feat you don't qualify for, you can't use it until you qualify again.
Argument 3 (balance): Do you really want to give loremasters Improved Spell Capacity or Improved Metamagic on character level ~10?

I agree :D

I see the idea behinde your reasoning Hervis
I have been playing epic chars for 3 or 4 months now and some of those feets would make a lore master more broken then 3.0 Harm

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads