Loremaster Article: To GSL or not to GSL?

Frylock

Explorer
Trolling

When you say:

Frylock: You may not be naive about copyright law, but you may be so about ENWorld (or the internet). Thread topics are allowed to evolve . . . . I would guess that you have known all along that the real issue is a fear of a suit.

(emphasis in original, presumably denoting sarcasm), are you referring to the post in which I say:

Me said:
While off topic, the points you raise are certainly interesting and generally relevant -- I also mentioned that my other articles in the series demonstrate the risk of lawsuits quite clearly -- so I don't want to discourage their discussion.

I ask because you seem to be referring to that post, yet getting the exact opposite meaning from its plain language. I say that I want to encourage the thread to evolve (granted, only if generally relevant -- no sense in discussing abortion in this thread), and I acknowledge the issue of lawsuits, yet you're now saying I naively miss both points. You also miss the actual point of that same post. I call your attention to something else I said in that post immediately following the quote above:

Me said:
I would, however, appreciate that you not accuse me of misrepresenting, misunderstanding, or not giving due consideration to any of these points.

So you see, what I was actually talking about in that post was trolling. You know, putting words into someone's mouth. I say simply, "The sky is blue," and then you accuse me of saying, "The sky is green," with no basis for misunderstanding my point other than to criticize unreasonably for its own sake. (My post turned out to be a simple misunderstanding, but that's irrelevant.)

I hope that's clear now.

MrGrenadine

Explorer
I ask because you seem to be referring to that post, yet getting the exact opposite meaning from its plain language. I say that I want to encourage the thread to evolve (granted, only if generally relevant -- no sense in discussing abortion in this thread), and I acknowledge the issue of lawsuits, yet you're now saying I naively miss both points...etc etc...

If you are as aggressive on behalf of your clients, when there are real stakes, as you are on behalf of yourself in a simple forum thread, then you must be a very good lawyer.

But you're coming on a little strong, and it wouldn't hurt to treat the thread as a conversation amongst equals.

As for the thread itself, and the article--very interesting food for thought. I still probably wouldn't buck the GSL, either--as others have stated, even winning in court can be expensive--but in general, its great to know the law, at least, is not so restrictive. Thanks for the info.

pawsplay

Hero
If you are as aggressive on behalf of your clients, when there are real stakes, as you are on behalf of yourself in a simple forum thread, then you must be a very good lawyer.

But you're coming on a little strong, and it wouldn't hurt to treat the thread as a conversation amongst equals.

I think that is treating this conversation as amongst equals. While most of us are not lawyers, Frylock is speaking in a lawyerly way. This is what you would call the deep end of the swimming pool. *shrug* There are plenty of other threads where people can share their hippie-love opinions about IP. I appreciate the straight talk.

Remove ads