Losing a Level due to death

Albereth

First Post
A PC in the game I am currently running died in the last session. When this PC is returned to the land of the living she will lose a level and be halfway between 5th and 6th. Now when this happens, does the character also lose the skill points gained so far and the feat that she took at 6th level? This is rather important.

Albereth

Xarlen

First Post
She looses everything that benefitted herself in gaining that level (Hps, spells, skill points, feats, special abilities, etc).

Zawoud

First Post
One thing I wonder is what happens if a monster dies and is resurrected. Does it lose a HD or 1 point of Consitution? And if it loses a HD, can it regain it by gaining xp?

Nareau

Explorer
And what happens when they regain that level?

Specifically, can they reroll their HP's? I'm assuming so. Imagine a rog2 gets killed in battle. His experience is so traumatic, that he decides to start pursuing a career as a cleric instead of reverting to his old ways. When he gets raised, he'll be a rog1. When he regains that second level, he'll multiclass into a rog1/clr1. Since he'd be rolling a d8 instead of a d6, he'd have to reroll his HP's.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: And what happens when they regain that level?

Spider said:
Specifically, can they reroll their HP's? I'm assuming so. Imagine a rog2 gets killed in battle. His experience is so traumatic, that he decides to start pursuing a career as a cleric instead of reverting to his old ways. When he gets raised, he'll be a rog1. When he regains that second level, he'll multiclass into a rog1/clr1. Since he'd be rolling a d8 instead of a d6, he'd have to reroll his HP's.

Yes, you reroll your hp. If you lose a level from dying and getting resurrected, it's as if you never had that level in the first place (for example, wish and miracle can't restore the level). If you then regain a level, it's just like gaining any other level.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Wacky Suggestion

OTOH, if you don't want to bother with recalculating the character, just leave them at the current level, but with a exp defict that they have to make up.
For example, assume that the character has 17,000 exp. After she gets raised she would be at 12,500 exp. The difference is 4500 exp. So, she has to earn 4500 exp before she can continue her progress towards 7th level. This way the character stays at 6th level, you don't have to figure out lost skills, hit points, etc.
Another wacky idea is to instead leave her at 17,000, but everytime she earns exp. give half to her character and half to paying off the deficit. That way the character still has the feel of progressing, but only slower.
Another possiblity, but is definitely more towards a house rule. Everytime a character dies and is raised they take a permanent 5% exp penalty.

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Don't forget ... you also get all the experience points that your party gained for the adventure that you died in.. added to your new total (it's in the PHB...).

When my character last died, I ended up losing XP points, but not a level.. (prompting a host of other questions).

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
I think the rules aren't very good anyway. If I am Nth level by 1 XP, I lose basically half a level's worth of XP. If I am one XP away from next level, I lose almost one and a half level of XP's worth. IMC, the payers lose the exact amount of XP as was in their previous level. This might not drop them a level, but at least it's fair to the guy who died at the end of the adventure instead of dying at the first trap.

Rav

kreynolds

First Post
I drop my players in accord with the PHB. My recommendation to my players is simple, "Don't die." :) But I'm pretty strict when it comes to death and resurrection.

Moonglum

First Post
I feel you kreynolds. I usually penalize them by taking away some of their equipment as well, just to make them more cautious. Or maybe I'm just sadistic....

Remove ads