Losing a Level due to death

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Re: Wacky Suggestion

WaterRabbit said:
OTOH, if you don't want to bother with recalculating the character, just leave them at the current level, but with a exp defict that they have to make up.

This is exactly my house rule for dealing with death and resurrection. The character in question suffers an "XP debt" of 500 * character level, and cannot advance until the debt is paid off. True Resurrection avoids the debt. I don't "level down" the character either. I find it slightly flawed that someone back from the dead loses powers, so the character stays the same (no additional bookwork needed) but must pay the XP debt before progressing in level.

Xar

First Post
I let my players lose a set amound of XP. Mostly 500 XP per level, but it's only a 'dept'. They don't actually lose a level. Fair to everyone. Makes no difference with players that almost reached their next level and those that just got to this one.

I also take all the XP could have earned when they died into account. So it makes no difference between the guy who died at the beginning of the adventure, and the one who died in the last fight.

Damn, Cloudgatherer just took the words out my mouth...

Last edited:

Remove ads