• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lost Mines: Map Size Shenannegins

Ganymede81

First Post
Several of the maps in the Lost Mines of Phandelver, Wave Echo Cave in particular, are very big. The Wave Echo cave, if put to a standard 5 feet to 1 inch scale, is a massive 5 feet by 7 feet. Even if you were to draw/print it in sections, that's still bigger than many tables.

How have y'all handled the especially large maps in the Lost Mines in particular, or in any module in general?

Patrick McGill

First Post
I use a dry erase mat, and I only draw what I need to for battles or to explain a particularly tricky to explain room/area. Just erase and redraw when I need to. I've never had a whole map set out and ready, that always seemed kind of weird unless the character's have a map of the place already.

Several of the maps in the Lost Mines of Phandelver, Wave Echo Cave in particular, are very big. The Wave Echo cave, if put to a standard 5 feet to 1 inch scale, is a massive 5 feet by 7 feet. Even if you were to draw/print it in sections, that's still bigger than many tables.

How have y'all handled the especially large maps in the Lost Mines in particular, or in any module in general?

I generally freehand sketch any areas that turn out to be important/complicated enough to need a visual map.

5 feet to 1 inch--that means it's 300' by 420'? About the same area as a medium-sized parking lot. Seems like you should able to easily sketch that out on a smaller scale, 30' to an inch or so. Then you could pretty much fit the whole thing on one sheet of paper, unless the cave is a lot more complicated than I am imagining it. If it is more complicated, then you only have to sketch a few rooms at a time.

Ganymede81

First Post
I've been getting into printing the color maps and pasting them onto a foambard backing in order to create modular dungeon tiles. It involves some extra preparation and some extra expense, but it provides a more attractive game element, gives the players a place to showcase their painted miniatures, and eliminates in-game map drawing. This works beautifully on many locations, but would prove to be a Herculean challenge for very large maps (I don't even want to imagine how much foamboard I'd need to do Castle Ravenloft).

Theater of the mind paired with rough sketches works, but it does lose the fun physical aesthetic.

Maybe I should consider using an all-digital format by using a cheap flatscreen TV as a map surface.

flametitan

Explorer
I've been getting into printing the color maps and pasting them onto a foambard backing in order to create modular dungeon tiles. It involves some extra preparation and some extra expense, but it provides a more attractive game element, gives the players a place to showcase their painted miniatures, and eliminates in-game map drawing. This works beautifully on many locations, but would prove to be a Herculean challenge for very large maps (I don't even want to imagine how much foamboard I'd need to do Castle Ravenloft).

Eventually, if I do a scale map of Ravenloft (And maybe Wave Echo cave), I think I'm going to go with a 1"-10' scale, and then use small based minis. Perhaps even just use the half sized minis from a Risk Board I have.

Generally though, I prefer Theatre of the Mind as I tend to find with a detailed enough map I focus too much on the maps and minis and not enough on the imaginative descriptions, but my players enjoy using minis.

Yubbie Nubbins

First Post
I adjusted the size and configuration of Wave Echo Cave so that it fit on my table using my Dwarven Forge tiles.

Wave Echo Cave.jpg

designbot

Explorer
Actually, at full 60 dpi, 1":5' scale, the map would be even bigger than that: 75" x 102". It is pretty cool to see the full size of these big maps with 10' squares, but printing them is difficult to impossible.

Panning on a flatscreen TV or projector is probably the only practical way to do it full-size.

Personally, I used 3D Virtual Tabletop on an iPad, which was a bit clunky, but worked OK to get the idea across.

guachi

Hero
I printed mine out on paper using the "draft" setting. The map becomes pale but that's actually a positive as the minis/counters stand out. It was less of a problem than I thought. Less ink means less money but it also keeps the paper from being sodden with ink, which is bad if you use an inkjet.

I then cut each room out with scissors. Slightly thicker weight paper helps keep each room flat. Or you could pin the room to cardboard with a straight pin. Everyone has an extra cardboard box they can use. It's really easy to swap out one room for another or connect rooms together. Place room on cardboard, stab with a few pins, play.

It's like a cheaper method of what Ganymede mentioned.

Last edited:

Remove ads