LOTR LCG - Any fans?

innerdude

Legend
So my brother in law and I have just started getting into this game. I'm really enjoying it but worry that it mght not have as much "staying power" as I might like. I found some excellent fan-made quests that only require the core set, which has added some much needed variety to the gameplay, but I worry that it may get repetitive over time.

Any other fans with experience on which expansions to buy, best value for the money to increase the gameplay variety, etc.?

Lindeloef

First Post
I tried get into it half a year ago, though nobody in my area was interested in joining me (alone its no fun).
I tried it out a bit with LackeyCCG (a program to play it online) but it wasn't really for me.

regarding the expansions, here is a useful link you should check out
But in short: the two hobbit boxes and the Kazad-Dum one are the best for your buck one

innerdude

Legend
Thanks for the link!

That's interesting; I've been doing some more research, and there's some differences of opinion regarding which expansions to get. Most everyone agrees, though, that playing solo is by far the toughest way to play, and nearly impossible to win the harder scenarios if you're only using the core set.

Dang.

Guess that means I've got to start saving up another $75-$90 to start investing in expansions.

Jhaelen

First Post
I used to be a fan in the beginning of the game. Unfortunately, in order to address the power-creep resulting from the ever-increasing number of player cards, scenarios started to become impossibly difficult at about the time the Heirs of Numenor expansion was released. And I'm not talking difficult as in 'learn to adapt and improve decks until you can beat it', I'm talking about 'no matter what you do, unless you get incredibly lucky, you're screwed'. Shortly after that FFG released a document allowing you to play scenarios in 'easy mode', but at that point I was already fed up with the whole thing.

The 'saga expansions' are probably the most fun of the whole thing, so if you want to give it a try, I'd recommend those.

Remove ads