(LOTR) Lennon as Gollum????

BluWolf

Explorer
From yahoo news...

Beatles Wanted to Do Rings Film in 1960s
Thu Mar 28, 8:30 PM ET

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - John Lennon wanted to play the grasping, thieving creature Gollum in a 1960s Beatles version of the "Lord of the Rings," New Zealand movie director Peter Jackson told Wellington's Evening Post newspaper.

Jackson, whose own version of the first book in the fantasy trilogy, "The Fellowship of the Ring" won four Oscars (news - web sites) this week, told the newspaper that the Beatles plan fell flat when author J.R.R. Tolkien rejected the plan.

Ex-Beatle Paul McCartney, who was to play the hero Frodo in the movie, told Jackson about the plans at the Academy Awards (news - web sites) in Hollywood, the Post reported.

"It was something John was driving and J.R.R. Tolkien still had the film rights at that stage but he didn't like the idea of the Beatles doing it. So he killed it," Jackson told the newspaper.

George Harrison was to play the wise wizard Gandalf who advises the hobbit Frodo in his quest to destroy the evil golden ring at the center of the epic tale of good versus evil, one of the most popular books of the 20th century.

Ringo Starr was to play Frodo's devoted sidekick Sam, while Lennon would take the part of the hobbit-like creature that tracks the heroes throughout the story, trying to get his hands on the powerful ring.

"There probably would've been some good songs coming off the album," Jackson said of the Beatles' plan.

Jackson is currently working on the second film of the trilogy for AOL Time Warner Inc's New Line Cinema.

"The Two Towers" is due out in December and the last film, "The Return of the King," will follow next year.

At least it wasn't the Bee Gees!

Squire James

First Post
I had a sudden vision of the Bee Gees and several extras playing the Fellowship, running in the Mines of Moria while "Stayin' Alive" plays in the background. Not a pretty sight!

omedon

First Post
I have known about this one for a while. I don't think it was ever supposed to secret, somehow it just managed to avoid becoming common knowlege

What is surprising is if this is the first Jackson had heard of it. After working on the trilogy for so long I would have thought he would have known of the beatles project before now.

Last edited:

Stormprince

First Post
Forgive Me!

omedon said:
I have known about this one for a while. I don't think it was ever supposed to secret, somehow it just managed to avoid becoming common knowlege

What is surprising is if this is the first Jackson had heard of it. After working on the trilogy for so long I would have thought he would have known of the beatles project before now.

*shudders* When I first read this quote, for some reason, my mind leapt for the connection from the Beatles to Jackson with Jackson being Michael Jackson, which in turn inspired another quick leap remembering when MJ had purchased the rights to most of the Beatles' copyrights and properties, which then imagined what would have happened if the Beatles did have the rights to do the movie, just broke up before they actually did it (Yoko as the Dark One anyone?)... so, years later, MJ finds that contract in his Vault, and decides he wants to do the movie!

And suddenly, we end up with a LotR version of 'The Wiz'!

Sometimes, I worry about the state of my mind... I really, really do!

Oh, yeah... *runs off and hides from the inevitable death wishes going to be slung his way!*

- Christopher

Ysgarran

Re: Forgive Me!

Stormprince said:

And suddenly, we end up with a LotR version of 'The Wiz'!

Sometimes, I worry about the state of my mind... I really, really do!

Oh, yeah... *runs off and hides from the inevitable death wishes going to be slung his way!*

- Christopher

What a truly strange turn of events that would have been! Seem to me you should turn this into a short story of some sort...

Kamard

First Post
I am so very glad the Beatles never got to ruin the Lord of the Rings.

That would be like a Monkees version of Hamlet.

Awful, awful.

Edit- a Monkees version, not the Monkees version.

Last edited:

Luiz d'Artayn

First Post
omedon said:

I'd be very surprised if PJ has only just learned of this. Far more likely, is that in the wake of the Oscars, and with eight months before the release of "The Two Towers", he and/or the media are popping out "fresh" tidbits of trivia to keep the movie project in the public consciousness.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
You think that people hated this version of Elrond? I wonder what they would have said if they'd seen him in those sparkly glasses and giant platform shoes as played by Elton John... :D

"Ever since I was a young boy,
I protected Middle Earth..."

Last edited:

Ysgarran

You mean Agent Elrond in Mordor?

"I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it"

Remove ads