• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Love it or hate it, 3e style

What's your opinion on 3e/3.5e/OGL

• Love it!

Votes: 96 32.4%
  • Like it

Votes: 64 21.6%
  • Mixed bag

Votes: 73 24.7%
  • Dislike it

Votes: 37 12.5%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 22 7.4%
  • Meh, who cares?

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Poll closed .
Let's see if the answers come out any different asking about 3e. By 3e, I mean both 3e and 3.5e, plus OGL materials.

Edit on Dec. 7, as requested:
THIS POLL IS NOT ACCURATE DUE TO HACKING. It's been pointed out that several hundred "hate" answers appeared in a few hour stretch, several days after the poll was posted. As that's inconsistent with any previous poll activity on this site, it's widely believed that this poll, and the 4e equivalent, were hacked. We don't know what non-hacked results would be. See the 3e-4e poll comparison thread for detail discussion.

Last edited:

deadsmurf

First Post
Mixed bag - there are good aspects to it, and also not good ones, depending on the type of game you're looking for.
I prefer 4E a lot, but I still play (pathfinder at least) a bit.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Like it. Well. . . kind of.

Initially, I hated it, but a lot of that was me not wanting to adapt to an entirely new system (I played 1e at the time) and getting burned by some incredibly poor third party publications.

When the glut of crappy 3PPs died off (around the time that 3.5 was released), I was no longer playing D&D at all (having since switched largely to playing WW games). I gave it another try and really liked it.

After a few years, though, I felt like the amount of time that I needed to invest in the system to run a game kept being ratcheted up, while the payoff remained the same. I grew to hate it once again.

Today, if I had to choose between 3x and 4e, I'd choose 3x. But if I had to choose between 3x and earlier editions, I'd choose 1e/2e or OD&D any day of the week. So, today, I like it — but not love it.

Like it...

3.x has some issues and is by no means perfect. On the whole though the good definitely out-weighs the bad. For our group. it went in the direction we were looking for.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

ggroy

First Post
Most of my muchkin powergamer friends still really love 3E/3.5E. Most of them really dislike 4E, for the reason that they can't easily produce many really overpowered low level characters in 4E.

No idea what they think of Pathfinder, since I don't live in the same town anymore as them.

For DMing, I prefer 4E.

Kafen

First Post
Let's see if the answers come out any different asking about 3e. By 3e, I mean both 3e and 3.5e, plus OGL materials.

Like it...

I would love it except for the Other Systems. Gimme' GURPS, WEG's D6, and 1e for the Love section. The OGL, 3.0, and 3.5 systems have strong core mechanics which let people choose - for good or bad - among the basics without too much of a fight at the game table when things break down. That is a social thing as much as it is a mechanical blessing.

Garmorn

Explorer
It still catered to the spell user over every one else. I got way to complex and there was no easy to make up monsters or NPC's. While the magic creation system was a great Ideal most DM's disallowed them because they wanted control of the magic items and/or because they were horrible to balance.

There where lots of complaints about the social interaction rules with many players wanting to drop them.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Missed this edition entirely.. played 2E in middle and high school, quit playing for about 8-9 years, then started up again with 4E when it came out. No option on this for that. Well, maybe "who cares."

rjdafoe

Explorer
Mixed bag for me.

I felt it empowered the players to much over the DM. IMO it encouraged rules lawyering and "winning the game".

Agamon

Adventurer
Most of my muchkin powergamer friends still really love 3E/3.5E. Most of them really dislike 4E, for the reason that they can't easily produce many really overpowered low level characters in 4E.

No idea what they think of Pathfinder, since I don't live in the same town anymore as them.

I'd move away from that group, too. :lol:

Remove ads