Love Spell

Zelda Themelin

First Post
Heh, cool.

I have something to say about original permanent (D) duration.

Bestow curse is 3rd level permanent spell (4th for wizards). It's effects can be really devastating.

Probable ways to remove curse is through remove curse spell 3/4th level, and break enchantment 4/5th level.
(there is of course wish-type magic too)

Now, love spell is pretty similar one, and it could IMO be seen very well as possible curse-effect as well as charm-type effect.
It's effects can also be dispelled with dispel magic, unlike bestow curse's.

Bestow curse is has touch-range, but no material component Ok, no biggie if one's game doesn't use components, mine does, so difference matters a lot to me).

Love spell has short range, but has material component that might not be easy to come by.

I'd go for permanent duration, though 1 day/level is pretty good too. That would have much more the feel of a love-spell.

Last edited:

Stormprince

First Post
Second, the target also has a strong desire for romance with that person, in addition to the charm person effects.

Okay... this sounds to me as if the only person that can cast this love spell must already be in love with the individual, who must also already have feelings of desire for the spellcaster... ie., sounds like in order to cast the love spell, the individuals are already in love, and wouldn't really need to cast the spell, anyways.

Traditionally, love spells are BLACK MAGIC, for the most part, because they are forcing an individual to develop feelings for the caster, against their will. Secondly, most of the time, people went to another individual (such as a wise old gypsy woman) to ask for the love spell to be cast on a third party.

Right now, the way the write up for this version of the spell reads, it's pointless, because the individuals must already desire one another.

Christopher

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Considering a potion of love...

Love

This potion causes the character drinking it to become charmed with the first creature she sees after consuming the draft (as charm person-the drinker must be a humanoid of Medium-size or smaller, Will save, DC 14). She actually becomes enamored if the creature is of similar race or kind. The charm effects wear off in 1d3 hours, but the enamoring effect is permanent.

Caster Level: 2nd; Prerequisites: Brew Potion, charm person; Market Price: 150 gp.

A permanent enamored effect for essentially a 1st level spell side effect....the spell looks fairly decent in the "permanent" version. However, I would add an additional save for the target if asked or coerced to do something "against her nature" as per the charm person spell.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Cloudgatherer said:
Considering a potion of love...

A permanent enamored effect for essentially a 1st level spell side effect....the spell looks fairly decent in the "permanent" version. However, I would add an additional save for the target if asked or coerced to do something "against her nature" as per the charm person spell.

This is how I ruled a LOVE spell works in my game. It's a 2nd level spell, though and there is no additional save as cloudgatherer suggests. That doesn't mean the charmed one approves of her lover's actions but "love is blind" sometimes... :D

Eternalknight

First Post
Stormprince said:

Okay... this sounds to me as if the only person that can cast this love spell must already be in love with the individual, who must also already have feelings of desire for the spellcaster... ie., sounds like in order to cast the love spell, the individuals are already in love, and wouldn't really need to cast the spell, anyways.

Traditionally, love spells are BLACK MAGIC, for the most part, because they are forcing an individual to develop feelings for the caster, against their will. Secondly, most of the time, people went to another individual (such as a wise old gypsy woman) to ask for the love spell to be cast on a third party.

Right now, the way the write up for this version of the spell reads, it's pointless, because the individuals must already desire one another.

Christopher

I am afraid you have misread.

The second effect means it arouses feelings of romance in the target, not that they must already have feelings.

On another note, what should I do? Permanent or 1 day/level?

Stormprince

First Post
Okay, looking at it again, I can see where I misread, but if I misread it, then other people might as well. Expand upon the description slightly, if for the sake of us 'blondes' out there, if for no other reason.

- Christopher

Zelda Themelin

First Post
I'd say permanent. IMO that'd be very balanced with bestow curse, also effects of love spell are more limited (though not perhaps always) than normal charm type spells.

As dispellable spell, someone affected this has charm-type enchantment aura that can be easily detected. It's a dead giveaway that something fishy is going on. There are spells/items that could hide such aura, but arranging such is separate effort, and not everyone has access to such spells. Thus, charming kings with love, is not any easier than charming kings with other methods.

As to material components. I think fingernailclips, hair and blood from victim (or victims if another is not caster of the spell) would also do very well. They are classics for every evil witch.

Remove ads