Low Magic D&D

Jerrid Al-Kundo

First Post
Far too long to post in one thread... That's why I've got 4 Forums all to myself. :D

The link to the site's in my sig; The Aedon Forums are about half-way down.

Oh, and I just started revamping magic item creations; Constructive input would be appreciated. The cornerstone of the system is to require a sympathetic relationship between the item and the caster than performs the enhancement, meaning that to construct a magical sword, the spellcaster must actually put on the apron, take up hammer and tongs and forge it, while making a scroll requires that the caster makes the ink and (for spells of 3rd level or higher) paper. Items cannot be upgraded after creation.

Jaligard

First Post
DM with a vengence said:
Wizard:
Concentration: 4 ranks Knowledge Arcana: 8 ranks, any other Knowledge skill: 8 ranks, Spellcraft: 8 ranks,
must speak at least any three of Draconic, Slyvan, Celestial, Infernal, Abyssal, Auran, Aquan, Ignan or Terran.

I just want to point something out for you because I think you're missing it. Experts can take the Wizard class at 4th level. All other classes must be 13th level.

No other class (in your primary list) gets all Knowledge skills and Spellcraft as class skills.

Sorcerer has the same problem. They need 8 ranks of Kn: Arcana (which an Aristocrat can get) and 8 ranks of Concentration (which a Ranger can get), so you've got two skills which aren't both on anyone's class lists (except the Expert, who can make their own list).

So, anyway, I like the idea, but I think you need to consider the detials a bit.

Last edited:

Ace32

Explorer
Actually, maybe that's a better way to have it. The way I see it is, the author is trying to emulate a sincere devotion to magical knowledge and training to be able to become something like a wizard. As such, maybe it's best for a would-be wizard to have been an expert who specialized on magic type stuff. Ofcourse, this doesn't fly very well with sorcerers...

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Such high requisites for the Sorcerer doesn't go well zith their innate ability to cast magic, at least IMHO...

Why does the sorcerer needs a Knoledge skill to use his innate abilities? A non learned sorcerer is imposible?

Jerrid Al-Kundo

First Post
Well, I made them non-innate, myself. Seemed more of a poor-man's Psionicist before the PsiBook was released...

Of course, I think the same of 3E Psi, but that's just my opinion.:D

Although that is a valid question: Have you changed that aspect, DMwaV? If so, you might consider a lower requirement, probably one more related to learning mythology/folk lore rather than factual/arcane knowledge. My personal take relates them more to Elementalism/Geenie lore, so I'm hip to a change for flavor.

Remove ads