• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Faith and Good Works

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
As the group moves through the veil, Bren reaches out to touch Cythera briefly on the shoulder. The battle-maiden feels divine strength flood her muscles . . . suddenly her glaive seems light as a feather.

[sblock=Actions]Cast Bulls Strength on Cythera. Move through the veil anchoring her opposite side from Fury. Cast Spiritual Hammer during the "surprise round."[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 26 (23 Flat-Footed, 22 Touch)
HP: 56/56
CMB: +7 CMD: 29 (+9/31 vs Grapple)
Fort: +10 Reflex: +07 Will: +16

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (5/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (10/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (08/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (07/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (07/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Divine Favor, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
The party steps across the veil, ready to meet the charge of the berserker constructs, and the berserker constructs do not disappoint. In an instant, the guardians manifest heavy picks and a type of light armor that might be studded leather, and charge across the floor towards the party, weapons raised. What happens next is startling, however. As the constructs come into melee range, they each disappear in a shower of sparks, just as the defender guardians did when they were defeated – only this time, there was no hard-fought, construct-by-construct victory. Simultaneously, the veils become transparent.

The challenge seems to have been satisfied. The key at the end of the chamber awaits.

[sblock=Intelligence check, 10]You recall the inscription at the entrance to the tomb. At the time, Bren wasn’t sure whether it should have been translated with an “and” or an “or.” But the translation seems obvious now: “Only those who are wise in his words OR strong in battle can pass within and claim victory."[/sblock]
[sblock=Perception check, 20]The guardians only manifested their equipment for a few brief seconds between their activation and their disappearance, and they were charging directly at you at the time, but the heavy picks they had were identical in style to the ones the wrathspawn were using.[/sblock]

GM: Congratulations! Your hunch (and your discovery of the Vicente's room) has paid off to the tune of 6400xp and the second key. And that will level Cythera.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury is stunned by the sudden disappearance of the constructs.

"Wait. Wha...?"

He blinks rapidly and looks to Cythera and Breninyr for their theories on what just happened.

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 6 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +11

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 64 Current: 64
CMB: +7 CMD: 23 Fort: +4 Ref: +14 Will: +6

In Hand: rapier & cure light wounds wand
Effects/Conditions:

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 1/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Bren is plainly nonplussed at the sudden resolution of this test, and it takes him a moment to collect his wits. [COLOR="#SandyBrown"]"Well, that clears it up! The translation should definitely be "wise in his words OR strong in battle."[/COLOR]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Breninyr Hydref
Initiative: +0
AC: 26 (23 Flat-Footed, 22 Touch)
HP: 56/56
CMB: +7 CMD: 29 (+9/31 vs Grapple)
Fort: +10 Reflex: +07 Will: +16

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (5/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (10/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (08/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (07/07)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (07/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Divine Favor, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera is just as surprised and looks at her companions, "That was not what I expected to happen. I wonder what other clues we forgot that might apply to the third test."

She stops her battle dance and moves to collect the second key. Putting it with the other one, she moves back to the stairs where Carak awaits. The dog has watched with curiosity at the strange behavior of her mistress and her friends.

"Let us go to the next room and puzzle that one out as well. If we need to fight the next constructs, best we do it while I am feeling this divine strength. "

Intelligence (1d20+2=12)
Perception (1d20+8=19)

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 24 (21 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 76 Current: 76
CMB: +11 CMD: 26 (27 vs. Sundering) Fort: +8 Reflex: +9 Will: +8
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop, Bless (+1 Att), Bull's Strength (5 Minutes; +1 Att, +2 Dmg)

Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive (+15/+8 (+13 AoOs) Att; 1d10+20)
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 11/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 2/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)
2nd Level 2/2 (Glitterdust(DC14), Mirror Image)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

OOC: Thanks, Systole. I will need some clear numbers on XP for updating Cythera to 9th level. Date is 17 Dec 2012?

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
GM: Sorry about the delay, PM. I am having a hell of a time find the spreadsheet I was using for you guys and really don't want to do it again from scratch. I'll get hard numbers to you this evening, one way or another.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury nods slowly in dawning comprehension, flashes a grin at Breninyr and Cythera, and gives Carak a friendly pat on the head.

"That worked much better than I could have expected." He pulls out the book of scripture to review the passage again and scans down the lines of words with his finger.

"The next one should be... ah... skirmishers, if I've figured things correctly. Skirmishers must fear the berserks," he says reading, "and tactic: the charge." He looks up at the others. "That's it, then. That's what we gotta do."

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 6 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +11

AC: 23 (16 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 64 Current: 64
CMB: +7 CMD: 23 Fort: +4 Ref: +14 Will: +6

In Hand: rapier & cure light wounds wand
Effects/Conditions:

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 1/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Cythera e'Kiernan, Bronze Dragon Disciple

Cythera nods, "Fair enough, that is a dance I can do as well. Though I wonder why our skirmishing did not vanquish the other ones automatically. Maybe it was not our tactics that did it. Were we supposed to use arrows or something?"

"Perhaps it was Bren's strength spell this time?
"

She moves to the third chamber, looking for inscriptions in the hallway.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Initiative: +8
AC: 25 (22 flat-footed, 15 Touch)
HP: 87 Current: 87
CMB: +13 CMD: 28 (29 vs. Sundering) Fort: +8 Reflex: +9 Will: +8
Conditions in Effect: Arcane Strike (+1 dmg), Power Attack (-2 Att/+6 dmg), Furious Focus (no penalty for 1st PA), Overhand Chop, Bless (+1 Att), Bull's Strength (5 Minutes; +1 Att, +2 Dmg)

Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive (+17/+10 (+15 AoOs) Att; 1d10+21)
Chakram: 8/8 Claws: 5/5 rounds remaining

Battle Dance: 11/14 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Read Magic, Detect Magic, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation, Mending)
1st Level 3/5 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Grease(DC13), Vanish)
2nd Level 3/3 (Glitterdust(DC14), Minor Image, Gallant Inspiration)

Carak
Initiative: +2; Senses: low-light vision, scent; Perception: +8
AC: 16 (flat-footed 14, touch 12) HP: 13/13
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 (19 vs. trip) Fort: +5(6) Reflex: +5(6) Will: +1(2)[/sblock]___________________________

Cythera.jpg
Cythera e'Kiernan
Carak-Husky.jpg
Carak

OOC: Thanks, Systole. Same number that I got last night. :)

Remove ads