• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mac Vs. Pc Commercials

Simplicity

Explorer
Oh great, that probably leaves me as some stupid orc or something.

My apologies if my snark has gone too far. He sometimes gets out of hand, when I talk about the One Button to Rule Them All.

I think the freedom from viruses is intrinsic to the OS.

Here is my thinking:

Whether or not there are a hackers who are trying to write viruses for OS 10 does not matter. The folks who are coding the security updates are acting as if there are. (And there probably are.)

Imagine my home's smoke alarm. Whether or not my house is on fire does not matter. The smoke alarm still is an intrinsic element of my home's security.

In other words, just because the Windows house is on fire and its smoke alarm is constantly beeping does not mean my smoke alarm has no intrinsic value.

I agree that Apple OS has some intrinsic security qualities. I would say the same thing about Windows. The only thing that I would consider a selling point between the two is the superiority of those security qualities. I don't think Apple's instrinsic security is superior to Windows.

To further your analogy: Just because a house is burning down, doesn't mean the fire alarm is worse than the one in the house next door that isn't on fire. The arsonist might just really like to burn THAT house.

Apple OS does do security updates, but a lot of time it's shared code (when OpenSSL gets updated, you gotta update everything that uses it. When a vulnerability in the GIF format is found, Windows and Apple need to jump on it). Windows does security updates as well.
Because the viruses often affect Windows machines, Windows tends to do more updates.

Unless bugs are being introduced by the updates (and they can often be), the Windows products should tend to grow more secure over time. Apple security is just untried in battle, and until it becomes a target, it's capabilities are an unknown. But I have no reason to believe that it's any better than Windows would have been BEFORE all the updates they've made in response to attacks.

Oh yeah. GROG SMASH! FIRE BURN!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Dimwhit said:
Nah, not really. Rel's in love with me anyway, so he'll just see it as flirtation.

It's time you were outed. Dimwhit is only this poster's ENW username. Elsewhere this person is known as
Kate Beckinsale
. [End Spoiler]

So that explains my love and why I would never ban Dimwhit.

crybaby

First Post
macsfriendly.jpg

And that is all i have to say about that.

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
Rel said:
It's time you were outed. Dimwhit is only this poster's ENW username. Elsewhere this person is known as
Kate Beckinsale
. [End Spoiler]

So that explains my love and why I would never ban Dimwhit.

You wish. Hey man, if thinking of me as Kate B. gets you through those late nights of yours, I'm cool with that. Just don't go misplacing your lust. You know where it belongs.

Dimwhit

Explorer
TogaMario said:
If nothing else, this post was worth making for the Rel/Dimwhit battle of wits laced throughout.
Well, I've tried to engage in that battle the best I can. But as they say, you can't have a battle of wits with the witless. That's right, Rel, I'm lookin' at you.

(As yes, I realize the irony if that statement given my username.)

TogaMario

First Post
Dimwhit said:
Well, I've tried to engage in that battle the best I can. But as they say, you can't have a battle of wits with the witless. That's right, Rel, I'm lookin' at you.

(As yes, I realize the irony if that statement given my username.)

It's just a clever ruse?

Remove ads