[Mage: the Awakening] Legacy of the Stone Assembly

I thought you said that any spells we cast before the scene automatically succeded? Or does that have something to do with studying resonance?

Edit: Shouldn't it be Intelligence+Occult+1/2(Density modifier on pg 278) for 8/9 dice, not that those dice will help Joseph with his horrible luck or anything. As for the action, just keep going each 'round' until he gains some amount of successes, or unless he takes some other action.

New edit:
I actually have no idea if I can use this to search for spirits or not. It seemed like a good idea, especially because of the lack of actual spirit interacting spells I have. But after reading, it seems like I have to be able to sense the object before I read its resonance. I don't even know anymore. If I can't find the spirits, its 8 dice on mages. If I can, I think its 9 dice. On the building itself, its only 5 dice.

Last edited:

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
I thought you said that any spells we cast before the scene automatically succeded? Or does that have something to do with studying resonance?

I was under the impression that you wanted to cast a new spell with a Mind 1 element, since you said you wanted to see "the things that the mind spell lets him search for."

Edit: Shouldn't it be Intelligence+Occult+1/2(Density modifier on pg 278) for 8/9 dice, not that those dice will help Joseph with his horrible luck or anything. As for the action, just keep going each 'round' until he gains some amount of successes, or unless he takes some other action.
No, because you don't know the rote. You're casting it improvised, so it's Gnosis + Prime. It should probably be Gnosis + Mind, actually, but I was being a little charitable in making Mind conjunctional, assuming you'd drop your current supernal vision for a new one with a Mind element. The Density modifier applies to attempts to scrutinize resonance; since I thought you were casting a new spell, I didn't factor it in.

I actually have no idea if I can use this to search for spirits or not. It seemed like a good idea, especially because of the lack of actual spirit interacting spells I have. But after reading, it seems like I have to be able to sense the object before I read its resonance. I don't even know anymore. If I can't find the spirits, its 8 dice on mages. If I can, I think its 9 dice. On the building itself, its only 5 dice.
Supernal Vision will only let you see things in the material world with your own, unaided senses, and scrutinize their resonance. You need a Spirit element to see into the Twilight, as Gabriel did.

Here's what I recommend now: Prometheus can cast Third Eye (Mind 1) with 5 dice to see Mind "stuff", or scrutinize with his existing Supernal Sight, and see everyone's Nature. That would gain you a +1 density bonus.

Incidentally, it would really help me if you noted the attributes and dice pool you're rolling when you do things, preferably in a format like:

[sblock=roll]Scrutinize other mages' resonance with Supernal Vision: Gnosis (3) + Prime (3) + Density Bonus (1) = 7 dice[/sblock]

Oh my bad. I forgot that it was supernal vision I cast earlier, I'm sorry. On second thought, I think Joseph will adopt a wait and see approach, especially considering that the spell wouldn't be able to analyze the resonance of the spirits anyway. I'll change the in character stuff to reflect that if its ok with you?

Also, I'll try to remember to put the rolls in from now on.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Just realized my mistake at the bottom of my previous post. It should be Intelligence + Occult + Density, of course. :p DERP.

Have we decided on the wisdom (or un-wisdom) of Thorn's plan yet?

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
It's awesome, of course. :)

Question: Can Thorn cast a spell that lets her see spirits with Spirit 2? If so, can she mix in some Death to see ghosts too?

I have the book, but the rules on improvised casting are still fuzzy to me.

If I have that Spirit Sight rote, can I cast it with Death to see ghosts, or do I need the Ghost Sight rote too?

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Question: Can Thorn cast a spell that lets her see spirits with Spirit 2? If so, can she mix in some Death to see ghosts too?

Yup. Spirit Tongue, which Gabriel and Levanna have active, is Spirit 1. The corresponding Death spell is Speak With the Dead, Death 1, so Thorn could weave Death in and have an all-purpose "See Stuff in Twilight" spell.

If I have that Spirit Sight rote, can I cast it with Death to see ghosts, or do I need the Ghost Sight rote too?
I'm afraid you can't weave another spell into a rote. Rotes are like very specific instances of a spell: the intention, or "Imago", of the spell is already codified, so it can't be altered. Also, I don't see a rote or improvised spell called Spirit Sight in the core book. Do you mean "Second Sight," the Spirit 1 improvised spell?

Shayuri

First Post
Ah! Yes! It seems I do. My bad. :)

Thanks.

Okay...so...my dice pool for that improvised "see everything in Twilight" would be what? Gnosis is 2...but I haven't got any dots in Prime yet...I'll have to fix that asap...

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Ah! Yes! It seems I do. My bad. :)

Thanks.

Okay...so...my dice pool for that improvised "see everything in Twilight" would be what? Gnosis is 2...but I haven't got any dots in Prime yet...I'll have to fix that asap...

It would be Gnosis (2) + Spirit (2) = 4. Since she's in safe territory to act mage-y, she can feel free to use High Speech and add a +1 onto it, for 5. Neither Spirit nor Death is ruling for you, so it will cost 1 point of mana.

It's my impression that mages can weave a related spell into a spell they're casting with 1 extra dot in the primary Arcanum, but I can't recall where, if at all, that's noted in the rules. I might be making that up.

*Blows on his conch shell to summon Solarious and his rules knowledge*

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases