• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic house rules [short]

gpetruc

First Post
I was considering, to make spellcasters more versatile, to try the following house rules:

Sorcerers: all as PHB except for the following:
- instead of having Spell Slots per Day they use PP as psions (but of course they're not psionics). They use the Charisma as base ability modifier to get the bonus PP, and the spells (they still use the normal spells) have a cost equal to a power of that level (use the same rule also for 0-level spells)
- Metamagic feats do not require a full round action to be used

Wizards:
- the cost for writing a new spell on the spellbook is 10gp/page and not 100 gp/page

This shouldn't change much the balance:
wizards get more spells known, but they already have plenty; sorcerors get extra versatility in the spells to cast but don't get more spells known (that is what they would need to be more powerful)

What do you think ?

Khaalis

Adventurer
Sorcerers would get severely reduced in power in this sytem, and I would never touch one. Not only do they still know almost No spells, have crappy HD, crappy BAB, Crappy Skill points and Skill list, but now they get even less spells per day that they can cast.

Do the math on the Psion. With the Psion Power Points, you can cast roughly as many spells per day as a Wizard. Thats a huge loss for the Sorcerer. If you really want to convert the Sorcerer to Spell Points, I would suggest looking at the Alternate Point System as presented by AEG in Magic.

They convert the standard idea of Power Points to all classes (though you can simply pick and choose which classes use points), and makes the point system balance out to roughly the same number of spells per day that would normally be cast by a member of that class under the normal system. Thus Sorcerers can still cast more than Wizards, Clerics more than Druids, etc. Totally designed to be plug-and-play with the normal system.

Last edited:

Remove ads