D&D 5E Magic Item Economy

machineelf

Explorer
I created a chart for how I am handling a magic item economy in my world. Here's the link in case it's useful to anyone else. The prices in the chart are taken from the recent Unearthed Arcana document on downtime. I've made healing potions a bit more abundant in my world, because I use house rules that make natural healing tougher. Do with healing potions what you wish in your own world.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eOBHYON452T79t4ff3sUtJWISilSKt039b9RUpGPfqc/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Caliburn101

Explorer
Magic heavy game you have there, but you balance the prices appropriately. I would say be more nuanced about availability between the rarities and it will be more 'realistic'.

CapnZapp

Legend
Before drawing any conclusions, I'd first ask the OP how much money the heroes will be getting.

In a campaign that uses the default DMG tables, then sure, it is magic heavy. But in another campaign, you can easily reach 10th level without the group having enough for even a single 30,000 gp item between them.

SheWantstheD&D

First Post
This is an aside, and only prompted by "economics" in your title, but have you read Orconomics? It has a good satirical view to a fantasy setting's economic system when adventurers are common.

machineelf

Explorer
This is an aside, and only prompted by "economics" in your title, but have you read Orconomics? It has a good satirical view to a fantasy setting's economic system when adventurers are common.

I have not read it, but I looked it up on Amazon after you mentioned it. It looks really interesting!

Remove ads