D&D 5E Magic Item Stacking

Quartz

Hero
Ah... is it +X items that's the sacred cow, or is it the sword +1 specifically? I suspect that it may well be the latter, and that they could actually get rid of everything else. And the weapon +X could be fixed by a simple change: the bonus applies to damage only, not attack rolls (damage bonuses being much easier to balance for).

Even simpler would be to say that the + modifies the critical range, so make it that a normal weapon cannot crit, a masterwork weapon crits on a 20, and a +5 weapon crits on a 14-20.

But even that can work to the game's advantage - power phrased as "once per round you can..." are more interesting (but generally less powerful) than a static +X bonus to something.

That adds complexity, though. The static effect and at will effect - be they a bonus or whatever - are far easier to administer.

delericho

Legend
Even simpler would be to say that the + modifies the critical range, so make it that a normal weapon cannot crit, a masterwork weapon crits on a 20, and a +5 weapon crits on a 14-20.

That's certainly a valid option. Not sure it counts as "simpler" though!

That adds complexity, though. The static effect and at will effect - be they a bonus or whatever - are far easier to administer.

Eh, it's marginally more complex, but only for character who have the items. And give that they'll no doubt have other such powers and items, I'm not sure I see the problem. Besides, if characters only have one action per round, then anything that takes an action is already "once per round".

Quartz

Hero
Eh, it's marginally more complex, but only for character who have the items. And give that they'll no doubt have other such powers and items, I'm not sure I see the problem. Besides, if characters only have one action per round, then anything that takes an action is already "once per round".

The problem comes with defensive items when the item can activate or be activated on another's turn.

Starfox

Hero

This could be a workable option, if a bit counter intuitive. If we take this path, the reverse could also be true; defensive "plusses" have the sole effect of reducing crit range. I don't think this would work out tough. My players would complain that this is just obfuscation, that the enchantment is just cosmetic and made to make finding these items feel like an achievement and reward, when in fact it is just Potemkin villages.

power phrased as "once per round you can..." are more interesting (but generally less powerful) than a static +X bonus to something.

Afraid this is not so here either - remember the Magic Item Compendium for 3.5? It was full of such pseudo-bonuses with limited usage, as was 4E. All these things quickly became loathed around here.

Items that give a minor but solid ability (like 3.5's Message spell) are gold. Items that give significant bonuses, but surrounded by so much limitations that they become uselessly conditional, are junk.

Remove ads