• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic item that puts a stat at 18

Diegan

First Post
Hi!

We're starting a new campaign of 3.5 with some friends. I kind of remember there was a magic item (dunno if it was a necklace, ring...) that incremented one stat to 18 (maximum human capacity). I remember it wasn't very expensive, but don't know where to look for it.

Anyone knows which is this item, and where to find it? Is it in the dumgeon master handbook? What was it's name?

Maybe I saw it on Baldur's Gate 2, and it's not present in D&D 3.5...

Thank you!!!!

Ahnehnois

First Post
There aren't any such items in 3.5; Baldur's Gate did have something that did this but that's 2e. Everything now gives some kind of a bonus (+X) rather than setting you at any given number. This is to prevent abuse (a 3 Str character w/ an automatic 18 Str item; a menacing brute who turns into an emaciated weakling when he takes his gloves off).

DarkelvenSFi

First Post
Some of the old style girdles of giant strength items gave a straight strength value; dependent on the type of giant; hill, fire, cloud, etc. Never did see any similar items for other abilities.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Technically, spells like Magic Jar and psionic manifestations like Mind Switch could do the trick, if you need high physical stats and have a buff physical specimen to try it out on. I think there is even a way to make the Mind Switch permanent.

frankthedm

First Post
Gauntlets of Ogre Power: These appear the same as typical handwear for armor. The wearer of these gloves, however, is imbued with 18/00 Strength in his hands, arms, and shoulders. When striking with the hand or with a weapon hurled or held, the gauntlets add a +3 bonus to attack rolls and a +6 bonus to damage inflicted when a hit is made. These gauntlets are particularly desirable when combined with a girdle of giant strength and a hurled weapon. They grow or shrink to fit human to halfling-sized hands.

Remember those items came from an era when only one class, the fighter, had a chance to have a noteworthy high STR score.

Those items also came from an era where stats were almost always rolled for & you had no guarantees of getting an particular given item. if a player in 1E or 2E intentionally sacked their STR score planning to get GoOP or BoGS, it would be simple for the DM to keep any "replace your STR score" items out of the campaign.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Remember those items came from an era when only one class, the fighter, had a chance to have a noteworthy high STR score.

Those items also came from an era where stats were almost always rolled for & you had no guarantees of getting an particular given item. if a player in 1E or 2E intentionally sacked their STR score planning to get GoOP or BoGS, it would be simple for the DM to keep any "replace your STR score" items out of the campaign.

Not only that, but an era where some items (the Hammer of Thunderbolts comes to mind) required both a Girdle of Giant Strength AND Gauntlets of Ogre Power to wield properly, even though the effects didn't stack. :)

aboyd

Explorer
Maybe I saw it on Baldur's Gate 2, and it's not present in D&D 3.5...
Yes, actually, I just got it yesterday. I reinstalled BG2, created a fighter with Charisma as a dump stat, and then headed right into the circus tent to save Aerie. The end of the tent combat culminates with the character getting a "Ring of Human Influence" which sets Charisma to 18.

Since it's sooo close to the beginning of the game, in BG2 you can essentially have a terrible Charisma and never feel the effects of it.

GenghisDon

First Post
Items of this sort were found in earlier versions of D&D, 3e+ has no max human limits, nor should it have items that raise scores to an arbitrary #.

Darklone

Yes, actually, I just got it yesterday. I reinstalled BG2, created a fighter with Charisma as a dump stat, and then headed right into the circus tent to save Aerie. The end of the tent combat culminates with the character getting a "Ring of Human Influence" which sets Charisma to 18.

Since it's sooo close to the beginning of the game, in BG2 you can essentially have a terrible Charisma and never feel the effects of it.

Was that BG 1 where you could roll your stats for hours till you only had 18s?

green slime

First Post
Nah, it's perfectly feasible to patch together this kind of item.

Let's assume that the game in question uses the standard Point Buy system.

In order to avoid any kind of abuse, all you need to do is set the price at the maximum level.

Therefore, the point buy version of a dump stat (8), and the desired end result (18) means a 10 point difference. Use the standard equation for enhancing stats: 10^2 * 1,000 gp = 100,000 gp. Explain that the boost does not stack with any other enhancement bonuses nor inherent bonus. This puts it out of reach for low and medium level characters.

So the cost of an item that raises a stat to 14 by this system would cost 36,000 gp, putting it well out of reach for low level characters, and would generally only benefit those with super low stats, and isn't going to tip any scales over.

Remove ads