D&D 5E Magic Item Weights

daddystabz

Explorer
I cannot seem to find weights for my magic items like wands, cloaks, hats, etc. in the DM's Guide of PHB. Are these supposed to not have a weight because they are magical or something?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Wands are in the PHB Equipment under Focus, Wand at 1 lb.
Poition of Healing is on same Equipment list as .5 lb

Green1

First Post
Just out of curiosity, outside of logistical things like moving a hoard or small armory from one location to another how many folks are really anal about encumbrance?

I never see it a lot because I typically run very heavy planar campaigns. Well, not really inter planar but decent amount of demiplanes and bags of holding.

Even in the absence of that, I just use good judgement and have always had a STR requirement for some weapons and armor that got me around all the accounting.

daddystabz

Explorer
I personally dislike Encumbrance for the most part but I am creating an inventory spreadsheet that will keep track of all my items as well as many other things so it is a part of that.

Any idea for the weights of hats, cloaks, and rings?

Green1

First Post
Rings would have 0 weight unless we are talking in bulk. I guess if you want to be anal, a few ounces at best. It would only be a problem if you had hoard, were a jeweler, collector, or noble. Even then, unused rings would usually be in some kind of jewel case or box which would have it's own wieght. Magic rings always worn in my opinion are not worth tracking even with a spreadsheet.

Cloaks would be like jackets or any clothing and carrying lots of clothes get heavy. It is the reason homeless always have to stash dirty clothes as it takes up the most weight in the pack. I would say 1 pound to 5 pounds depending on fabric.

Hats, a few ounces.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I just weighed a cloak from the ren faire. No frills. It is denim-like material for shedding rain, not really for warmth. It weighs just over 2 lbs.

Amazon lists a lined wool cloak at 8 lbs.

Last edited:

Remove ads