"Magic Items Compendium I" renamed "Tome of Treasures"?

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I was on Amazon and checking out my personalized recommendations list, and I saw this:

Tome of Treasures

Concept's the same, release date's the same, and the Magic Item Compendium I has disappeared from the product list at Amazon. I wonder if they changed the name to avoid confusion with the 3.5 version (which will still be a comparatively recent release when this comes out) and/or the core rulebook series.

Glyfair

Explorer
Matthew L. Martin said:
I wonder if they changed the name to avoid confusion with the 3.5 version (which will still be a comparatively recent release when this comes out) and/or the core rulebook series.
I doubt they changed the name at all. "Magic Item Compendium I" was likely just a placeholder name until they came up with a real name ("we're going to do the first book in a series that is similar to the Magic Item Compendium, but we don't have a name yet").

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Glyfair said:
I doubt they changed the name at all. "Magic Item Compendium I" was likely just a placeholder name until they came up with a real name ("we're going to do the first book in a series that is similar to the Magic Item Compendium, but we don't have a name yet").

That makes even more sense, especially since Amazon tends to leak things earlier than WotC would like.

am181d

Adventurer
Glyfair said:

Given that they were pollling their forum users on whether they'd like a 4e book called "Magic Item Compendium", they were clearly considering it as more than just a placeholder. Regardless, it apparently wasn't their final choice.

This would especially make sense if, as I speculated on an earlier thread, the book is actually more of a combination of a traditional magic item compendium and an arms & equipment guide. (Those were the two alternate titles they were polling on.)

Raith5

Adventurer
I like this new name a lot better.

I wonder how many magic items will actually be in the PHB, given that this is coming out in September.

Remove ads