• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Items in 5e... Lackluster?

Nebulous

Legend
My players just found a magic breastplate in LMoP. Per the book it was +1, and also a special ability. I removed the +1, the cleric who will use it already has an 18 AC and I don't want him to have a 19 at 4th level, and I left the secondary ability, advantage on saving throws against dragon breath, which is more than enough to make it awesome.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I would have wanted WotC designers to do it because it would have been a useful message, instead now we still get a lot of people assuming that because the +1 is still there in all magic weapon then it must mean that all magic weapons need it, when it is in fact the contrary.

The +1 is not there in all magic weapons though.

Flipping to the page on swords I see that the Sword of Life Stealing, Sharpness and Wounding are all "'+0" swords.

The Sword of Answering is a +3 and is legendary.

The Sword of Vengeance is a +1 but is also cursed.

That seems like a pretty good ratio of weapons with just special abilities and ones with bonuses.

Mull Ponders

Explorer
Actually, I really liked the magic items in Lost Mine of Phandelver.

Some of them had additional properties that added uniqueness and flavor, useful in certain circumstances without being overpowering.

jfolsen

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Magic items in the DMG. Do they lack luster? Many do. Do they lack originality? Absolutely. Would a lynch mob have formed outside WotC's offices if they'd done anything different? You better believe it! ;)

Nebulous

Legend
Magic items in the DMG. Do they lack luster? Many do. Do they lack originality? Absolutely. Would a lynch mob have formed outside WotC's offices if they'd done anything different? You better believe it! ;)

Would we worship at their feet if they put out a new book of magic items with unique histories and unexpected surprises? You bet your sweet ass! :)

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
I think the exact, extreme polar opposite as the OP. I think the magic items in 5e are wonderfully flavorful and more seemingly "magical" than items have been in several editions. And that's one of the aspects I particularly like about 5e.

Jaelommiss

First Post
I tend to use the magic items listed as a foundation to build items from. In my last game the players came across some magical items. When I rolled, I got a +1 weapon.

Thinking a bit, I decided that it would be a handaxe that belonged to a dwarven hero. Why did a handaxe become magical instead of, say, a battleaxe or warhammer? Well obviously it was important to the dwarf's crowning achievement. What if the hero was disarmed during an epic duel and only had the axe left? That's something I can work with, but there needs to be more to it than that. Suppose he threw it as a last act, but it was deflected, and as his foe was about to land a killing blow it returned to the dwarf's hand, allowing him to overcome his foe. That's far more interesting of a backstory for a magic weapon. I'll add a property that it returns after being thrown, though only once per turn (no extra attacks with it). The name Second Chance seems appropriate and will be etched into the haft in dwarven. That'll reward anyone proficient in the dwarven tongue, even if there are no dwarves in the campaign. Perhaps later they could encounter a dwarf who recognizes the weapon and wants it returned to the hero's tomb. There's a potential plot hook.

At face value a +1 weapon seems bland, and if handed out as written then I can see how they are. From my perspective it is a blank canvass to work with, to craft into a historical artifact, and to enhance as I see fit. For me a plain +1 weapon is only as limited as your imagination.

Nebulous

Legend
I can envision a huge, laundry list of powers to layer over magic items to give them more pizzazz. Incorporate the 4e idea of Encounter and Daily powers too and you have a large variety of options. There should be something like that for 5th edition, an A to Z compilation from an Axe of Agility to a Zither of Summoning that has a short blurb about its history, an illustration, the mechanics that make it special, and for some, Designer Notes regarding the thought process. 5th edition has the opportunity to magic feel like MAGIC again instead of being one-note clones of each other. It's certainly taken a few steps that direction but it can do a lot more, and largely played it safe within the DMG.

Edit: I do largely like the magic items in the DMG, i just want MORE. Lots and lots more.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
My players just found a magic breastplate in LMoP. Per the book it was +1, and also a special ability. I removed the +1, the cleric who will use it already has an 18 AC and I don't want him to have a 19 at 4th level, and I left the secondary ability, advantage on saving throws against dragon breath, which is more than enough to make it awesome.

Yeah, cause not getting hit an extra time one encounter in 5 is game breaking. :lol:

Remove ads