Magic Items that grant feats

Norfleet said:
If I were him, I'd have said, "You can have my ranseur when you PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS."
When ranseurs are outlawed, only outlaws will have ranseurs.

I might add that many "intelligent weapon" powers grant you feats, such as Improved Disarm and Improved Sunder.

Erratic K

First Post
I think magic items that replicate feats are okay. Except...

except feats that are class specific.

and feats that can only be taken at first level (or feats from racial levels if you use Aracana Unearthed type racial levels).

I think those type feats are special because the make being the class or race worthwhile. You have to preserve the choices some players make.

So basically: magic items for generic feats, OK.

Some feats are better than others (at least more useful), so cost them out carefully. That explains the disparity in pricing.

Personally I try to avoid giving out items that give a bonus to skills or give feats. It makes the players choices in building their character more important. I guess I should consider a magic item that grants a feat and takes away a feat, or the same thing with a skill- that might balance it in a way that is suitable for me.

-E

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
From Arms and Equipment Guide:
"Pricing feats for magic items is a very fuzzy area. If a feat is purely mechanical, default to rules in the Dungeon Master's Guide with an adjustment for the fact that the bonus has no type...

Metamagic feats should adjust the level of the spells to which they apply, and thus change the price. While this is still a matter of judgement, consider increasing all the spell levels by +1 if the item effects spells of 0-3rd level, by +2 if the item affects spells of 0-6th level, and by +4 if the item affects spells of all levels.

A general guideline for other kinds of feats is that they cost +10,000 gp, plus another 5,000 to 10,000 gp per prerequisite."

Demiurge out.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
Be careful with making items that grant feats. At high-level, PCs have so much wealth that it's often easier to drop 20,000 gp on four single-feat items than to worry about which feat they'll actually choose with their granted feats.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
Be careful with making items that grant feats. At high-level, PCs have so much wealth that it's often easier to drop 20,000 gp on four single-feat items than to worry about which feat they'll actually choose with their granted feats.

Remove ads