• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

magic ring

Does it work

• Poll closed .

dwayne

Adventurer
Assuming it is meant to basically give a free concentration I would consider it too powerful. The concentration mechanic is an important part of keeping casters from being too powerful and getting rid of the old days of having multiple buffs.

it is limited in the use as you can only have two rings on at once, also the speels effected are limited to low med and high and if you just hand them out well that's your issue for giving them away. as a player may only ever have one in his life let alone two. they are not candy to be dolded out. letting a caster for go one spell effect with con, is not like in the old days as they could stack endless amounts. if having more than one of these rings would be unbalancing then don't give more than one out.

dwayne

Adventurer
Seems brokenly powerful, and I can't tell if it alters the duration or not. I'm going to assume not.

Concentration free haste
Shadows of moil and hex
Bless & guidance on self
Shield of faith and haste plus a shield spell all at once
Stoneskin+barkskin and a wildshaped druid would be one tanky mofo.
Greater invisibility+anything at all.

maybe you are confused only one spell effect can be locked with the ring, so not sure what you are doing and only to the max duration or until the ring is removed.

dwayne

Adventurer
also with multiple casters in a group they already cast more than one buff on people, I have seen and read it being done. So don't see a big deal with this sounds like to me you people just don't want to work at being a balancing factor. I am running a game and have and will be using this in ity and will see how much it changes things but do not for see a differance. As you still need to cast the spell effect and only gain a single aspect of it until the duration is over or you remove the ring. I was looking for help in balancing this not just people taking jabs and dismissing it as a bad idea. I was thinking of limiting it to only a school of spells or something but again nothing constructive so far

maybe you are confused only one spell effect can be locked with the ring, so not sure what you are doing and only to the max duration or until the ring is removed.
This ring would allow a single caster to stack both of those buffs on themselves: One with their concentration slot and one from the ring.

That is some serious increase in nova capability for a single caster. Normally it would take multiple casters, each giving up their concentration slot to achieve this, so its a serious boost in action/concentration economy.

So: its a very powerful effect, but that doesn't mean that it can't be used. Just that it needs to be very expensive and/or rare.
Does it require attunement?

G

Guest 6801328

I'd make it: "While wearing this ring, any spell requiring concentration that is cast upon you lasts its full duration, even if concentration is broken. The effect also ends early if an action is used to remove the ring, or if another spell requiring concentration is cast upon you."

Yes, 1 extra concentration spell is quite powerful, but not all concentration spells are beneficial. :)

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I'd make it: "While wearing this ring, any spell requiring concentration that is cast upon you lasts its full duration, even if concentration is broken. The effect also ends early if an action is used to remove the ring, or if another spell requiring concentration is cast upon you."
I don't know, that would enable you to end a bad effect by just casting something innocuous like true strike on yourself.

My translation of the OP's idea would be:

----
While wearing this ring, if you are subjected to a spell that requires concentration you can choose to ``lock'' the spell in place. A locked spell no longer requires concentration and lasts for its full duration. The effects and parameters of a locked spell cannot be changed while the spell is in effect. A spell can only be locked in this way if you are its only target. The ring can lock one spell at a time, so while a spell on you is locked you are affected as normal by subsequent spells.

Alternatively, if you are targeted by a spell meeting these requirements and have no locked spell currently in place, you can gain advantage on any save to resist the spell.

The ring comes in three versions. The low version can only lock or grant advantage to spells of levels 1-3. The middle version effects spells of levels 4-6. The high version effects spells of levels 7-9.
----

----

dwayne

Adventurer
This ring would allow a single caster to stack both of those buffs on themselves: One with their concentration slot and one from the ring.

That is some serious increase in nova capability for a single caster. Normally it would take multiple casters, each giving up their concentration slot to achieve this, so its a serious boost in action/concentration economy.

So: its a very powerful effect, but that doesn't mean that it can't be used. Just that it needs to be very expensive and/or rare.
Does it require attunement?

require attunement yes as with most powerful items guess should have put that, thanks for point that out.

dwayne

Adventurer

Yes, 1 extra concentration spell is quite powerful, but not all concentration spells are beneficial. :)

it does not work for all concentration spells only those that could affect the person wearing the ring, so no flaming sphere. I think that some are not getting it or I just need to clarify better but thanks for the info.

dwayne

Adventurer
I don't know, that would enable you to end a bad effect by just casting something innocuous like true strike on yourself.

My translation of the OP's idea would be:

----
While wearing this ring, if you are subjected to a spell that requires concentration you can choose to ``lock'' the spell in place. A locked spell no longer requires concentration and lasts for its full duration. The effects and parameters of a locked spell cannot be changed while the spell is in effect. A spell can only be locked in this way if you are its only target. The ring can lock one spell at a time, so while a spell on you is locked you are affected as normal by subsequent spells.

Alternatively, if you are targeted by a spell meeting these requirements and have no locked spell currently in place, you can gain advantage on any save to resist the spell.

The ring comes in three versions. The low version can only lock or grant advantage to spells of levels 1-3. The middle version effects spells of levels 4-6. The high version effects spells of levels 7-9.
----

----

thanks that is what i was going for

G

Guest 6801328

a) Not everybody has a concentration cantrip handy.

b) Even if you have it, it takes you an Action to cast it.

c) A lot of concentration spells you would want to get rid of would prevent you from casting a spell.

d) If you have this ring, you often will already have concentration spell on yourself, so at the very least it cancelled that.

That said, a teammate could always cast the overwriting cantrip, if they recognize what is going on (DM's discretion), but a) and d) still apply.

Remove ads