• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Weapon Pricing Question

hong

WotC's bitch
Nail said:

So a weapon would be a slotted magic item if its powers were only effective when drawn and held. If you think about it, wands and staves also fall into this category; they must be held to be effective. Thus their lower cost. They are effectively slotted items.

The point of slotted items isn't that they have to be activated (although many of them are "always on"). The point is that having an item in a slot prevents other items with different powers from occupying that slot. Thus you can't have both an amulet of health and an amulet of natural armour at the same time, unless you put the two enchantments on the one amulet, and pay extra.

A sword with a strength enchantment isn't slotted, because it doesn't prevent other enchantments being put on the sword. If you do the arithmetic, it all works out in the end.

Nail

First Post
hong said:
A sword with a strength enchantment isn't slotted, because it doesn't prevent other enchantments being put on the sword. If you do the arithmetic, it all works out in the end.

Mmm. I don't disagree. Perhaps you are confusing "slotted" with "similar" (DMG definition) powers. (I suppose I shouldn't imply that Hong or RC are confused, should I?)

In other words: Being "unslotted" costs extra. Having two or more "similar" (DMG definition) powers on an item also cost extra. These are two different things.

It's really too bad they didn't publish the formulas they used to get magic item costs. I was (mildly) surprised they didn't rectify that in T&B (errata not withstanding). Fortunately, they can be "reverse-engineered"....although I suppose that's more appropriate for the "house rules" forum.......

hong

WotC's bitch
Nail said:

Mmm. I don't disagree. Perhaps you are confusing "slotted" with "similar" (DMG definition) powers. (I suppose I shouldn't imply that Hong or RC are confused, should I?)

In other words: Being "unslotted" costs extra. Having two or more "similar" (DMG definition) powers on an item also cost extra. These are two different things.

It would seem that you're the one who's confused. The only place where "similar" occurs in the DMG chapter on magic item creation is with reference to the multiple spell-like abilities on staffs.

Gauntlets of dex +4, str +4 = 16000 + 32000 cost price.

Gauntlets of dex +4, and diamond of str +4 (unslotted item) = 16000 + 32000 cost price.

Sword +2, str +4 = 8000 + 32000 cost price.

If you want a +4 str item without using up an additional item slot, you pay for it; like I said, the arithmetic works out in the end.

And if you don't agree that pricing magic items is an art, try making a few.

Nail

First Post
hong said:
It would seem that you're the one who's confused. <snip>

Gauntlets of dex +4, str +4 = 16000 + 32000 cost price.

Gauntlets of dex +4, and diamond of str +4 (unslotted item) = 16000 + 32000 cost price.[/B]

This is what I was pointing out, actually. Wasn't clear, eh?

Nail

First Post
I'll give it a try, e'en tho' I don't have me books here at work...

Gauntlets of Powerful Flaming Ogres :p
Cost of Gauntlets of Ogre Power (forget cost of these?)+ twice cost of Flaming gauntlets +1 (a +2 total weapon cost = 8000 gp).
or
Come up with a spell that causes the natural weapons of a creature to burst into flame. Stack that spell on th' Gauntlets, with the "Ogre Power" magic. One of the powers (the less expensive one) costs double, since yer stacking it.

Last edited:

Macbrea

First Post
Someone, may wonder why bother with those gauntlets but they are a decent purchase for a ranger with the improved unarmed strike feat.

Human Ranger 6
Str 12 (14), Dex 18, Con 14
Feats: Improved unarmed strike, Weapon Finesse: Unarmed, Point blank shot, Rapid shot

Guantlets of Ogre power +1, Flaming

Melee +9/+9/+4 Damage 1d3+3 + 1d6 fire

Granted he is abit strange but it is a character designed to use a bow.

Remove ads