Homebrew Magical Combatants - Three 1/3 Martial Archetypes with Prepared Maneuvers

VenerableBede

Adventurer
I'll have to consider that. At the very least, reducing the size/consistency of the exertion pool might be a way to free up some space for some more distinctive initial archetype features. However, it does result in the classic Herald problem of multiclassing fighter to suddenly have way, way more exertion than anyone else.

I'll definitely rewrite the latter bit as you suggest, assuming it ends up in the final draft.
I mean, the game designers already made the game so one dip into fighter provides the best maneuver degree progression and guaranteed Exertion, so for better or for worse (personally, I don't think it matters at all) the game already runs that way. I don't think you need to try to design your archetypes to try to "fix" that. And even if someone decides to do such a multiclass, so what? They are delaying all the feature of their primary class by one level and, if you play with a party that can be relied on to get to 20th level, sacrificing a beefy capstone. That's up to the player to decide if the trade-off is worth it. For the bard, for example, it would mean delaying Extra Attack to 7th level, which is a long wait if you plan on spending any reasonable amount of time in melee or otherwise relying on weapon attacks over cantrips.

xiphumor

Legend
I think "Armed to the Teeth" could use some rewording. It's not entirely clear when or why your natural weapon attacks count as Heavy for the purpose of using a combat maneuver.
I'm also curious how many wild shapes would actually be able to make use of the Mounted feature. Non-Skinchanger druids have much more limited Wild Shape options.
Regardless, if you can cause a creature mounting to use a maneuver you know, it probably should cost that creature's reaction. A comparable feature, the marshal's Commanding Presence, allows you to give up your attacks to let another creature attack, but it costs their reaction.
Maybe have Extra Attack also grant your natural weapons the ability to count as magical for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction? It feels to me that you are going for a martial druid that stays in wild shape and uses combat maneuvers a lot, having combat maneuvers and extra attack (combined with the wild shape's temporary hit points and AC boost) to let this druid fill a martial role normally filled by a fighter wearing plate mail or a berserker with Rugged Defense, but that just won't work once creatures with resistance to nonmagical attacks become more common.
If I understand your intent, then I also am curious how this archetype will stand out from the Skinchanger. Combat maneuvers, obviously, but if both focus on using wild shape to fill a martial role, will combat maneuvers alone be enough to at least stand on even footing with the Skinchanger's faster animal transformation, increased creature CR, and better temporary hit points? (Food for thought to improve what I think is a solid seed idea, not intended to stop you from developing this archetype.)
The Heavy bit is just because it felt really weird to imagine wildshaping into a bat and forcing a creature to make a Str saving throw from your bite attack. But I'll work on clarifying it.

I don't expect many will, but I enjoy the idea of making mounted combat more accessible, so I'm trying to integrate it. None-the-less, you can be a warhorse immediately at Level 2. And yeah, I'll probably bring it more in line with the Marshal if I keep the feature.

And thanks for all the feedback! I definitely don't feel discouraged, and getting comments like these is why I post my drafts. I'm trying to "fail faster" so-to-speak so that I can figure out what needs to change!

VenerableBede

Adventurer
Yes. Hurls Pact Dagger repeatedly
I would state that you are able to create your pact weapon for free, then, just so there's no ambiguity. I also might reiterate that creating a new pact weapon causes the previous one to disappear, and that if you have a bound weapon it can be summoned to your hand for free.

Remove ads