D&D 5E Make a pirate island come alive (Forgotten Realms)

aco175

Legend
The old Dungeon Magazine had an arc, maybe the Isle of Dread one, where the PCs traveled to a secret pirate base. There was a lot of description and unique places there.

Matthew P.

Villager
One shady fellow has a peg leg. If you tread on his business turf, he will invite you to his office for a drink and a nice chat to smooth out the misunderstanding. If the PCs do not bend to his will, he will shuffle around to put the peg leg up and point his 'foot' at the PCs. "Ach, my bad leg, she pains me." He actually has a one-shot Lantan cannon (loaded with buckshot) in the peg that he will try to discharge into the group. Use Eldritch Blast or a dragonborn breath weapon for the mechanics. If the peg leg got wet recently, the powder will not burn but there will be an audible 'click' when he tries to set it off. His cohorts and subordinates recognize the quoted line as a verbal warning.

Thank you!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I forgot to click send a week ago...

so:

So, things from the Scar - and I really can't do the book justice - that I could mention without spoiling it too much.

The island is divided in districts, controlled by pirate captains that have retired. They have a council that takes decisions.

One district was controlled by vampires. The residents paid a blood tax, which they gladly did because the district was kept quite peaceful - the vampires did not want anyone messing with their taxpayers. The vampires were tolerated by the other districts because they were powerful fighters (ie useful to have around) with a weakness (the day, so they couldn't take over).

The island had a few hot-air balloons, which they used to give themselves a great sight radius due to the great altitude the tethered crafts could reach.

Remove ads