Making a Treasure Hoard

eris404

Explorer
Hi All,

Some time ago, one the of the PCs in my Victoria D&D game found a treasure map which leads to a sunken ship, which is rumored to contain some of Napoleon's loot. I've been in a creative rut lately, however, and I'd like suggestions for interesting treasure, especially of the non-magical variety. I found some neat stuff online and a few cool things using various books and eTools, but my eyes are starting to glaze over a bit and it would be nice to have fresh ideas and perspective. If it makes a difference, the campaign is 3.5 D&D but takes place on 19th century Earth. The treasure will be for an encounter level somewhere around 15.

Any suggestions?

Slapzilla

First Post
Don't worry about rewards and such. Instead, try to drop hooks for them to bite on. 19th Century adventure suggests Egypt, and Deep, Dark Africa to me. As well as the usual sort of treasure, (just randomize it as the treasure is less important) how about they find some sort of tablet in a very modified heiroglyphic style that is a previously lost piece of the Book of the Dead (Maybe it gives possessor +2 CL to necromancy, and when used as part of an altar, creates an unhallow effect and gives a profane bonus to Craft: Alchemy +10). When collectors see it they freak out as this style is reminicent of a fabled lost empire created and hidden in the central continent by an early Pharoh to protect the bloodline. Other finds from the treasure haul (cloak of whatever made out of cheetah skin, Zulu style tower sheilds and warmasks, designs for elephantine golems with built in battle towers, etc.) should suggest a particular landmark in sub-Saharan Africa. Now they've got a reason to trek into a Jungle to find a lost empire with necromantic leanings, dealing with monsters, avoiding/placating/aided by natives, dodging assassins sent by the unscrupulous collector and tomb raiding. Maybe the society still exists in some form, waiting for an answer from Napoleon.

eris404

Explorer
Thanks for the input. I'm not worried at all about adventure hooks - I've got those in spades. And really, yes, I do want to worry about the exact treasure, which is why I posted here. Oh sure, there'll be the requisite coins, ingots and whatnot, but we've been building up to this for months and I want to make it very special, with several standout items. I've already picked out the magic stuff to be included, but I was looking for ideas/descriptions of non-magical stuff. The players in my group are the sort that would actually like to be able to write "Napoleon's snuff box" on their character sheets, you know?

KnightCloak

First Post
eris404 said:
Some time ago, one the of the PCs in my Victoria D&D game found a treasure map which leads to a sunken ship, which is rumored to contain some of Napoleon's loot. I've been in a creative rut lately, however, and I'd like suggestions for interesting treasure, especially of the non-magical variety.

Any suggestions?

In 1907 the Irish crown Jewels went missing. A little after Napoleon's time but there are 8 Fabergé eggs that are not accounted for. Check out the other things they created, there were some very beautiful things made at that time worth quite a bit. Of course, some could be magical...

Gilladian

Adventurer
Go to google, type in "antiquities" and browse. I found a nice link to "antiquities on e-bay". This is a constantly changing list of valuable artworks that have cultural significance and are easy to alter just a tad to fit into your campaign.

For example, an ancient phoenician carved female nude relic seems to have been carved from sandstone. It's ugly as heck, but might be some sort of religious symbol in your world.

A carved wooden statue of Anubis on a painted wooden plinth covered with heiroglyphs could become the statue of a hero/god of your world with the base carved in runes that tell a tale about him. Perhaps said tale could lead to a lost ruin or other adventure locale.

Something more ordinarily treasure-like was a strand of peruvian lapis and quartz beads. Very pretty, quite old. Not too much value in the stones, but if it was from a forgotten culture, lost in time...

Remove ads