• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making meals of Monsters

Longtooth Studios

First Post

[FONT=&quot]Blazing Hot Balor Wings[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There are few reasons worth standing toe to talon with a balor, but this recipe will have you scouring the abyss for more!

1 balor wing, two if you can get away with it!
2 pounds butter
6 cup of hot sauce
1/2 cup cayenne pepper
2 cups of vinegar
2 or 3 cups olive oil
celery & hafling cheeeeeeese are optional
lots of ale to wash it all down

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the vinegar and the hot sauce. When the butter is all melted and everything is mixed together, turn the heat way down low to keep the pan warm.
Blend cayenne pepper with olive oil
Roast wings over open fire turning slowly and basting with cayenne/olive oil mixture until the membrane is nice and crispy and the meat can be pulled from the bone. Dip in hot sauce as desired, enjoy!

If your castle is under siege, and the boiling oil is available, you may opt to deep fry the wings, but it is a much less health conscious option.
[/FONT]

nai_cha

First Post
They smell just like what goes through them, even after cooking. No joke.)

Wow, I have to say I find this really weird- not because it's pig guts, but because where I live we eat dishes made out of intestines of various animals all the time (goat, pig, cow, chicken) and I've never encountered any of them smelling like that. Then again some of these dishes consist of innards boiled in blood or bile so perhaps those fluids offset the smell.

I've actually seriously discussed with friends about what would be the best way to cook a dragon, and the general consensus was they'd most likely have a fishy/gamey taste that might be unpleasant. Ingredients that I've found helpful in getting rid of that fishy/gamey taste: lemon (or other citrus fruits), pineapple, lemongrass, and bell peppers. So recipes that would work?

Green Dragon Curry (it's the curry that's green, any colour dragon will do)
Lemon Dragon
Sweet and Sour Dragon
Tom Yung Dragon (this, along with the Green Dragon Curry, could use mushroom-type monsters as well)

Currently I'm playing in a 4e campaign where one of the characters is a swordmage but has been trained as a chef, and her main goal is to get enough money from adventuring to open a restaurant (if there was a Michelin Star paragon path, she'd take it), so a lot of times the rest of the party tells her to hack off a piece of slain monster for use in cooking later on. I remember getting really excited when we killed a shark because WOO HOO SHARK'S FIN DIMSUM TONIGHT. (without any of the bad feelings that come with eating shark's fin in real life.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Whether or not dishes including intestines smell or not depends upon how they are cleaned...and how thoroughly.

And if you're talking about a festival, it doesn't take more than a couple of people with less-than-perfect ingredients to make a big stink.

The group I'm running through the Shackled City AP cooked up and made rations out of the Bebelith the party encounters in Occiptus.

The monk in the party was something of a gourmet cook, with quite a few ranks in Cooking so, even though Bebelith wasn't your normal sort of meat he was experienced in cooking with, I let him have a go.

He rolled pretty damn high (the result was somewhere in the 20's) so I ruled that he was able to smoke up enough demon spider meat rations for the whole party to eat for quite a few days. It was lucky too as they were starting to get a bit low on rations! :D

A few PC's were a little uneasy about the consequences of eating demonic spider meat but they did it any way.

Olaf the Stout

MoxieFu

First Post
Some monsters just by their name alone scream for recipes:

Carrion Crullers
Caeser Slaad
and don't forget about the puddings and oozes!

Aeolius

Adventurer
Some monsters just by their name alone scream for recipes:

Carrion Crullers
Caeser Slaad
and don't forget about the puddings and oozes!

"He was not so much a man, as... a blancmange!!"

As for your prior entry, I do recall using a Tuna-Slaad Sand Witch at one point or another.

ourchair

First Post
I've actually seriously discussed with friends about what would be the best way to cook a dragon, and the general consensus was they'd most likely have a fishy/gamey taste that might be unpleasant. Ingredients that I've found helpful in getting rid of that fishy/gamey taste: lemon (or other citrus fruits), pineapple, lemongrass, and bell peppers. So recipes that would work?

Lemon Dragon
Sweet and Sour Dragon
Tom Yung Dragon (this, along with the Green Dragon Curry, could use mushroom-type monsters as well)
YOU WILL NEVER GET AWAY WITH THIS IN MAH DARK SUN CAMPAIGN.

In apocalyptic wasteland, psionically-gifted sand beetle cooks YOU.

ourchair

First Post
Back before they decided to pull it (for no reason that I'm aware of), Empty Room Studios had a v.3.5 d20 sourcebook called Cooking with Class. It actually treated the concept of food in a fantasy medieval setting fairly seriously, discussing food types and adventure ideas with them, alongside new rules (e.g. the Adamantine Chef prestige class).

It doesn't go over this particular topic in too much detail, but does have a section on exotic ingredients, e.g. monsters.
And now I am reminded why I don't play with 3rd Edition fans.

(Anti-flamebait: Unless they happen to be willing suspend their simulationist tendencies, 4th Edition style.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Lemon Dragon
Sweet and Sour Dragon

Cooking a dragon, eh? I'd use the same recipe book as for snake, turtle or iguana: Fajitas, soups or BBQ.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads