D&D 5E Making Monsters with Resistances and Immunities

Eric V

Hero
Hey,

I am converting Bruce Cordell's Return to the Tomb of Horrors and some monsters need to be made (Vestige, Winter Wight, etc.)

When doing so, if a monster has both 3+ resistances and 3+ immunities, do you use both multipliers on its effective hp or merely the highest one?

Eric

Nebulous

Legend
Hey,

I am converting Bruce Cordell's Return to the Tomb of Horrors and some monsters need to be made (Vestige, Winter Wight, etc.)

When doing so, if a monster has both 3+ resistances and 3+ immunities, do you use both multipliers on its effective hp or merely the highest one?

Eric

GOD i loved that adventure. We never got to the end of it, in the final level of the demi-lich.

Eric V

Hero
It IS a great adventure. I have had 2 failed attempts to complete it in 2 different editions; I am hoping the 3rd time is the charm, doing this for a Maptool group.

Any interest in conversion notes? More importantly, any tips? ;)

Hey,

Eric
Highest one, but first check other MM monsters, some blanket immunities of the old editions have been lifted on certain classes of monsters. Also other classes of resists and immunities seem packed together without much influence on CR (skeleton Minotaur vs minotaur). Also look at the critter, is it bleeding obvious the critter will be resistant to the element in question. IMHO a resistance or immunity that is not readily apparent should have more bearing as that will more likely cost someone an action to find that out.

Remove ads