• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making TacLords: Help!

(Crossposted from WotC boards for maximum exposure.)

I'm making a TacLord for an upcoming game, but I'm afraid my character concept is quite confused. In fact, I think I'm actually imagining two separate characters, but having trouble distinguishing them. I've done a fair bit of reading on the boards about Warlords, but I still have so many questions!

Please help me sort this out! Help me lay out two (generally) optimized -- but distinct -- TacLord characters, so that I can pick the one I would most like to play.

Here's what I'm having trouble with:

• Eladrin or Genasi?
  • Sword 'n' Board or Polearm*?
  • Eladrin: Spiral Tactician or Battle Captain?
  • Starting stats for each?
  • Multiclassing? Fighter, Wizard, or Swordmage (after Arcane Power)?
*Note: My game has a custom weapon called a "naginata", which is mechanically identical to a glaive except that it's a superior weapon and has a +3 proficiency bonus.

Remember, I'm trying to sort these into two different builds, rather than simply rule anything out.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

- Dr Hook

Last edited:

Uruush

First Post
It is almost entirely dependent on the composition of your party. That's what being a warlord is all about. Tell us about them.

It is almost entirely dependent on the composition of your party. That's what being a warlord is all about. Tell us about them.
Hmm, this could be problematic, as they haven't picked their characters yet. What I can tell you is this: there's six of us, there's a definite preference for melee characters among the others, and I told them all that I'm gonna want a big, tough Defender (and probably a melee Striker, too) to help me out. So far, I've heard folks discussing Warforged Fighters, Beastmaster Rangers, Avengers, Drow Artful Dodgers, Shamans, and Deva Invokers, though I haven't even heard from the whole group yet.

...Is that at all helpful?

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Well, the nost immediate concern is that a Tactical Warlord does much better with STR based classed allies, the fighter probably being the best of them all for a variety of reasons (Marks an extra target, +1 to hit over other STR build, usually sticks near the group and isn't prone to engage in maneuvering that would take him far from the Warlord, typically less likely to go down than a striker etc.)

Taclord have a lot of very cool and efficient powers that grant basic attacks to allies, starting with the commander's strike at-will. It is of course much better to rely on a fighter wielding a bastard sword to implement these free basic attacks than on a charismatic paladin...

In fact, in the absence of at least one buddy with a strong basic attack, the taclord is greatly diminished. Any of the three other warlord is better in that case (with insipiring probably being best since he is rarely invested in granting extra basic attack).

---

Concerning whether or not to use a polearm for the warlord, this also depends on allies. If you have only one buddy who is a melee based character, than your warlord pretty much must pickup a shield and stand to his side. in a six man party, you want at least 3 melee characters to hold the line. If you have only two ally who can do the job, you owe it to the team to pick up a shield and hoin them. If the front is laready fairly thick, hanging back with the polearm is is a pretty good option, actually. Covers more ground, can help more friends.

If you go polearm, take the Eladrin and go down his PP.

If you fight at the front, take the Genasi and go Battle Captain.

Since you said your friends lean toward melee classes, probably that a highly mobile Eladrin Polearm warlord could do very well.

Last edited:

nittanytbone

First Post
You will be very happy indeed if you have:

(A) A fighter with good STR for CC Strike and freebie attacks.
(B) A Brutal Scoundel Rogue for CC Strike and freebie attacks.
(C) A Controller or Ranger who makes multiple attack rolls to benefit from crazy-AP bonuses.

Well, the nost immediate concern is that a Tactical Warlord does much better with STR based classed allies, the fighter probably being the best of them all for a variety of reasons (Marks an extra target, +1 to hit over other STR build, usually sticks near the group and isn't prone to engage in maneuvering that would take him far from the Warlord, typically less likely to go down than a striker etc.)

Taclord have a lot of very cool and efficient powers that grant basic attacks to allies, starting with the commander's strike at-will. It is of course much better to rely on a fighter wielding a bastard sword to implement these free basic attacks than on a charismatic paladin...

In fact, in the absence of at least one buddy with a strong basic attack, the taclord is greatly diminished. Any of the three other warlord is better in that case (with insipiring probably being best since he is rarely invested in granting extra basic attack).

---

Concerning whether or not to use a polearm for the warlord, this also depends on allies. If you have only one buddy who is a melee based character, than your warlord pretty much must pickup a shield and stand to his side. in a six man party, you want at least 3 melee characters to hold the line. If you have only two ally who can do the job, you owe it to the team to pick up a shield and hoin them. If the front is laready fairly thick, hanging back with the polearm is is a pretty good option, actually. Covers more ground, can help more friends.

If you go polearm, take the Eladrin and go down his PP.

If you fight at the front, take the Genasi and go Battle Captain.

Since you said your friends lean toward melee classes, probably that a highly mobile Eladrin Polearm warlord could do very well.
Thanks very much! This is exactly the sort of opinion I'm looking for. Got any more advice, and would you care to elaborate? I'd really like to make the perfect TacLord. (Well, two of them, actually. :p)

You will be very happy indeed if you have:

(A) A fighter with good STR for CC Strike and freebie attacks.
(B) A Brutal Scoundel Rogue for CC Strike and freebie attacks.
(C) A Controller or Ranger who makes multiple attack rolls to benefit from crazy-AP bonuses.
I believe I understand what you're saying, but could you remind me what "CC Strike" is?

FWIW, I just learned that at least one player is looking to be either a Goliath or Shifter Barbarian; I believe this is exactly the sort of ally I'm looking for, correct?

Finally, no one has mentioned multiclassing. Is it worth is for a Warlord? (Wizard multiclassing especially sounds really interesting, not to mention Swordmage, although I hear the latter option currently kind of sucks.)

I thought the title was "Making TracyLords: Help!"

:blush:
This thread can't help you. In fact, I daresay that perhaps no one can help you, Wrathamon. :p

UPDATE: I've learned a bit more about my party. There's six of us, and of them there's:

• A Warlord (me);
  • A Shaman;
  • A Goliath Barbarian;
  • A Warforged Warden;
  • One player who wants to be either a Drow Artful Dodger Rogue or an Eladrin Orb Wizard;
  • One player who wants to be either a Druid or a Sorcerer.

You asked about my party, saying it will affect how I should build my Warlord. Any advice for me with this bunch?

Josep

First Post
  • A Warlord (me);
  • A Shaman;
  • A Goliath Barbarian;
  • A Warforged Warden;
  • One player who wants to be either a Drow Artful Dodger Rogue or an Eladrin Orb Wizard;
  • One player who wants to be either a Druid or a Sorcerer.
So 1 defender, 2 leaders, and a striker, and 2 striker/controllers. As far as group balance goes, I think one more defender would strongly help the party.

Rough party balance: Barbarian and Warden: Clearly melee, use strength, great allies for Commander's Strike. The Druid may be a good ally sometimes depending on which beast power he takes. The other characters aren't very good at holding the front line. I'm guessing that a sword and shield is your best bet since they'll need characters with good AC and hitpoints.

Remove ads