• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making the boards friendlier for new users?

Psionicist

Explorer
Morrus said:
Some of your suggestions are very good, Psionicist, and I'll certainly look at them.

Others, I'm not sure sure about. A few of them suggest that users just check elsewhere for the info; I'm of the opinion that every time you require someone to actively do something to find the info, you reduce the chance that they'll be able to do it. For example, my grandmother would never think to check someone's profile (or even know that it's possible), but she might like seeing someone's location next to their name - "Oooh! That nice chap lives in Newport! I went there for my holidays last year!".

I realise that using a grandmother is a bit of an extreme example, but from the "Help!" emails I regularly get, having as many of the options/info clearly displayed on the screen is a good thing.

I especially think that having the style dropdown on the main page is important. A lot of people want different styles, and many of them don't know where to find it.

I accidently replied to your message in the wrong thread. Can happen to anyone. :eek:

Here it is: http://www.enworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1386543&postcount=63

Crothian

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
I mentioned this when the off-topic forum was first created but apparently I was in the minority. Not all people like the Hive. Whether or not it is true I always felt that the Hive was a clicish or eliete group. The name implies a "groupthink" and I opose this whenever possible.

The Hive is nothing more then a name for all the people on EN World. It comes from asome threads in meta a few years back that were humorious in nature saying that all of the posters were just personalities of Piratecat. Then someone named it the Hivemind of Piratecat as his personalities just talked to each other on the board.

Many people see to a mis conception of the Hive.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Yup, but we don't need to go into that now. We've changed the name for a more practical reason: it's now more clearly labeled as off topic, and we still have some room for silly forum titles! Hivemind threads will always be welcome there, as will anyone who wishes to post OT chat or information.

Last edited:

Remove ads