• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Map tiles

ironvyper

First Post
Hi guys, i have been running games for a while now, but never really used terrain tiles or miniatures much. But i recently bought some of the WOTC gaming tiles packs and found the added depth to my combats so i am gonna try it.
Now heres the rub though, at 9$ a pack and not that many tiles in each pack, i am having a hard time justifying spending that much money on some cardboard pieces instead of buying other gaming materials. So i have been looking online for sites where i can print out tiles and then glue em to my foam board. Not much luck so far though. I dont need a ton of detail or anything just the basics is fine. So does anyone know a site i can DL game tiles from? Or have any other solution to my problem here?

Ever since Doommax (Gleemax) took over I have not looked but they used to have some of the tiles used for Chainmail availiable. These do work with the miniatures and sometimes I use them together even.

ironvyper

First Post
Thanx guys, I'll check those out. Hadnt even thought of heroquest in years, lol probablly not since i had the game in middle school. Didnt know people still played it.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Dungeon Tiles

Dungeon Tiles may sound like a lot, and some of the sets aren't great, but for the good sets, you get a good value for $10.

I highly recommend the Dire Tombs set. It has a lot of big generic pieces that can fit together into a lot of different dungeon configurations. I bought two sets and built two floors of a huge ziggurat with them that used every single piece.

I also highly recommend buying a large sheet of poster board and some of that blue sticky poster tack stuff so you can stick the dungeon pieces onto the board and keep them where you want them.

While it may seem expensive, once you consider the cost of paper and ink with normal tiles, you really do get a lot for $10 - or $30 once you buy two sets of tiles, some poster board, and the sticky tack.

I really hope the next set is as good as Dire Tombs.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
We offer two versions of tiles that allow far more customization than WOTCs or other manufacturers. DRAGON TILES gives you 2d tiles with 3d objects so you can continually rearrange your set up, and our E-Z TILES line allows you to customize the room contents on screen before you print the tile. Click on over to the Fat Dragon Games website for more info and some free demos.

SavageRobby

First Post
If you want to see a great selection from all kinds of companies, including Skeleton Key, Fat Dragon and others (WWG and 0one come to mind as well), go to enworld.rpgnow.com, and search in the RPG Accessories | 2D Buildings/Terrain product type. You'll see tons of options. Here is the full link:

http://enworld.rpgnow.com/index.php?filters=0_2210_0

(And if you like those, you'll also see plenty of options in the 3D Buildings/Terrain as well.)

FWIW, I'm a huge collector of tiles, and have acquired all kinds of tiles from most of the companies listed at rpgnow, and others. I think the WotC tiles are a huge value. When you add up the cost of ink, cardstock (or paper), backing (I use matboard, but you can use posterboard and foamcore, among others), and the time it takes to make your own tiles, then compare that to the cost, ease and production values of the WotC tiles, I think the WotC tiles come out on the plus side. What they lack most, however, is variety, especially for less traditional (or less angular) setups.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
3D tiles

Based on the discussion here I tried out the Pharos Tomb Fat Dragon 3D room. For $3 it was a good test case. It took me about an hour and a half to cut it out, fold it up, and glue it together. That's a bit too long for a single room for me. I can build a couple of full dungeons using Dungeon Tiles, no were near as tactile, for sure.

Still, it was worth the $3 for a test run.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads