D&D 5E Marilith- Opinions on Teleporting....

JeffB

Legend
The real answer is "What's more fun"?

Yep. Teleporting with the grappled PC will definitely add some tension in a good way, AFAIC. Without the Teleport, the grapple ends up pretty boring for such an iconic powerful demon...again, AFAIC.

mflayermonk

First Post
But isn't Misty Step in the same boat? The target is self, but I think it's pretty much assumed that the person doing the misty step also takes whatever equipment they are carrying.

The PC arrives naked and without gear at their destination seems like more fun.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
A cool compromise might be "Yes, but..."

YES the marilith can teleport while she has a creature grappled...

BUT she can only teleport half distance (60 instead of 120 ft) and she provokes opportunity attacks from adjacent creatures.

*That's* what I'd do.

I wouldn't even put a "but, ..." on it.

I change up my monsters and give them abilities all of the time, especially as PCs get higher levels and start gaining a lot of synergies and options. The 5E monsters are rather simplistic to make them easy to run, so adding minor features to them, especially features that the players have rarely or never seen, is part and parcel of the job.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
Teleport spells generally only allow willing creatures, so by RAW I would say no. But as a house rule I think it would be more fun if you could take them unwilling as well. As opposed to the other limitations I would allow a Wisdom save to keep yourself from going along for the ride. And maybe for line of sight teleports only? That way you can't be dropped off thousands of miles away.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
Teleport spells generally only allow willing creatures, so by RAW I would say no. But as a house rule I think it would be more fun if you could take them unwilling as well. As opposed to the other limitations I would allow a Wisdom save to keep yourself from going along for the ride. And maybe for line of teleports only? That way you can't be dropped off thousands of miles away.

Unlike previous editions, it is not listed as a "spell", it is just a magical ability.

?

Monster grappling is not the same as PC grappling, so the PC rules don't necessarily have to apply to it.

I would, however, require the marilith to have the carrying capacity to lift (not just drag) the PC.

Remove ads