Level Up (A5E) Marshal archetypes

WinnableBadger

Explorer
As the new class to the table, I feel like marshal has very few roles. Even the artificer can use one of the new options or the old ones. One of my players wants to play a sort of war hero, grizzled veteran, lead from the front kind of marshal. There don't seem to be any archetypes to fit this. Can anyone point me in the direction of some materials to help build a subclass, or better yet provide some ideas?

niklinna

satisfied?
Why not make something up, between the two of you? You could even involve the whole group if you think that'd be productive & fun. Careful though—you might wind up with everybody wanting to brew up a custom archetype. 😉 But again, if it's an activity that proves to be fun....

Since you did ask for some specific ideas:
  • Go first in the party, gaining one better than the highest initiative rolled by another PC.
  • Advance to the front line of melee no matter where they were in march order.
  • Recognize a likely ambush, potentially negating surprise.
  • Offer tips on armor/weapon repair during rests, granting bonuses to others.
  • Bonuses on Persuasion when discussing war and battle strategies/tactics with rulers & other miltary types.

Last edited:

Stone Dog

Adventurer
Well, Grizzled is an attitude and all Marshals are lead from the front kinds, because the class abilities don't kick in unless you are in the thick of it with your troops.

I'd say Talented Tactician despite the flavor text would be good to represent experience, just call it something different. I don't know why the archetype sets itself up as somebody who sits way back and never lifts a weapon when the actual features don't support this.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases