D&D 4E Martial classes

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Having been around so long that every new writer is a legacy fan who writes you as a demigod instead of the more interesting aspect of a mortal man standing shoulder to shoulder with superhumans?
A recent movie rather pragmatically indicated when he was asked "I'm rich".... buy any magic item possible (though there is also the super-preparedness so you bought them long ago because you knew you would need them angle)

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
A recent movie rather pragmatically indicated when he was asked "I'm rich".... buy any magic item possible (though there is also the super-preparedness so you bought them long ago because you knew you would need them angle)

That's mostly how I prefer the first of the 3 fantasy tinkerers.

Gadgeteer- Warrior who knows the design of a few scientific or magical items. Martial Controller/Striker with Arcane-like rider effects.

Alchemist- Sage with good throwing arm who invents a subset of magical items. Arcane Striker/Leader with decent armor and weapons use

Artificer- Mage who uses magic to create temporary magic items. Arcane Leader with Controller Secondary

The Gadgeteer would be the only one who can hold their own in melee.
The Alchemist could dabble with melee if they go heavy on potions.
The Artificer keeps out of melee as much as possible.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That's mostly how I prefer the first of the 3 fantasy tinkerers.

Gadgeteer- Warrior who knows the design of a few scientific or magical items. Martial Controller/Striker with Arcane-like rider effects.

Alchemist- Sage with good throwing arm who invents a subset of magical items. Arcane Striker/Leader with decent armor and weapons use

Artificer- Mage who uses magic to create temporary magic items. Arcane Leader with Controller Secondary

The Gadgeteer would be the only one who can hold their own in melee.
The Alchemist could dabble with melee if they go heavy on potions.
The Artificer keeps out of melee as much as possible.

This was one of my thoughts on it.... basically my flavor of gadgeteer inspired by renaissance with a dash of ancient greek havent really developed it very far.
1635287447342.png

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
This was one of my thoughts on it.... basically my flavor of gadgeteer inspired by renaissance with a dash of ancient greek havent really developed it very far.
View attachment 145759

My thoughts are the same.

Renaissance/Clockwork/Greektech/Chinatech Gadgeteers. Sages and loremasters of the next era of technology. I would have made Artifice their own power sources separate from Arcane and Martial respectively just to cement the idea. Basically guys 500 years ahead of time.

This why you can play a time traveler.

Yeah. All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This... is my BOOMSTICK!

A GUN IS NOT A MAGIC WEAPON!!!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My thoughts are the same.

Renaissance/Clockwork/Greektech/Chinatech Gadgeteers. Sages and loremasters of the next era of technology. I would have made Artifice their own power sources separate from Arcane and Martial respectively just to cement the idea. Basically guys 500 years ahead of time.

This why you can play a time traveler.
I also added Engineering (Wright) skill which could be used to support larger constructs with the above.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A gun might seem to be a magic weapon to "primitive screwheads".

If I could think up enough powers, I'd split up the Gadgeteer into a Thrower Class for Gadgeteer and a Firearm Class in Gunsmith.

Not like the screwheads could tell the difference.

I also added Engineering (Wright) skill which could be used to support larger constructs with the above.

Overall I woulda love to split Martial into Martial and Expertise. This would move the skill based martial character's into their own power source if people were okay with a Plague Doctor/Apothecary class. The Gladiator Fighter and Beastmaster Ranger could have been their own classes.

Power SourceDefenderStrikerControllerLeader
MartialFighterRogue/RangerGadgeteerWarlord
ExpertiseGladiator/DuelistAssassin/BeastmasterGunsmithApothecary

Though you could just keep them all Martial.

Remove ads