D&D 5E Martials v Casters...I still don't *get* it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As well as any other 20th level barbarian with a 20 strength. Which is not at all. I think you want to play mutants and masterminds with Superman instead of dungeons and dragons.

Now that I'm looking at the encounter guidelines, a dozen T-Rexes at the same time would be too much for a 20th level barbarian. A 20th level character can handle 40,000 xp worth of monsters in day. T-Rexes are 3,900 xp each. According to the XP threshold table, fighting one T-Rex would be a bit below a normal encounter and two would be hard. So based on encounter guidelines, A 20th level character should be able to defeat 10 T-Rexes in a day if they split up the T-Rexes into pairs or singles. Now if there some favorable factors like good terrain, more short rests, magic weapons and the like, 12 T-Rexes in day is feasible for a single 20th level character.

So a dozen T-Rexes at the same time is beyond a 20th level character, but 6 T-Rexes in a singe day should be quite doable. Something like that could be in Conan's ballpark...

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Conan is definitely not level 20. Him and Valeria had trouble with one dinosaur in Red Nails. If he was 20th level, he should have been able to deal with it easily.

As for the topic, I'm not sure if there is much else I can say. I think martials(well, except the Rogue) need some out of combat boosts. I wish magic was a little bit less do anything, although that ship has pretty much sailed. Maybe give the martials some more varied options in combat, although I think they don't really need much of a power boost in that area.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

Some pages later, and still going in the same circles. I suggest folks find more fruitful pastures. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads