Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest. What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use...

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest.

20325EE8-0395-467B-8DF9-DE1D6E32469F.jpeg

What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!”

Regarding the D616 system, someone asked about it on Matt Forbeck's blog and this was his reply:

"I’m afraid I can’t say more at the moment about the particulars, but it is a whole new system."

So Matt is calling it a whole new system, but how new can any system be these days, especially if it uses the standard dice.

Thomas Shey

Legend
2d20 uses effect dice which you can purchase from Modiphius, but you can also use standard d6s for. Vampire 5th Edition also can benefit from special dice, but standard d10s work pretty well.

The only major RPGs that pretty much require special dice I am aware of are FFG's various games and Fate.

And it should be noted that Fudge dice are mechanically identical to just rolling 4D3-8. Its probably a little clumsier than using the Fudge dice if you aren't used to reading D6 as D3s and don't have custom D3s, but its entirely doable.

aramis erak

Legend
And it should be noted that Fudge dice are mechanically identical to just rolling 4D3-8. Its probably a little clumsier than using the Fudge dice if you aren't used to reading D6 as D3s and don't have custom D3s, but its entirely doable.
Not to mention that a number of fate implementations specify 1d6-1d6 instead of 4dF, and the game plays much the same either way.

I'd not be at all surprised to see uncommon dice used to be a sales boost.

I somehow doubt that symbolic results (a la FFG SW/Genesys, FFG L5R, Modiphius effect dice) will be used. The biggest pushback amongst the people I've gamed with is the need for custom dice. Once they tried star wars or L5R using conversion mats, they decided the app or the custom dice were an improvement over conversion mats; most felt it worth using the custom dice, but not buying the custom dice.
Modiphius' effect dice are not slow enough for most to want the official effect dice. For my own use, I repainted some of the dots.

If they do, as some of us have suggested, use 1d6 & 1d16 for Marvel, a 2 dice set can get away with a $5 pair. Or maybe 3 pair for $12.
Until they actually tell us the dice mechanic, it's all speculation, but I'll note that a number of groups bought FFG's EOTE starter box (released during the Edge Playtest) to get the dice and map; some groups had multiple players do so... (Mine had 3 beginner boxes by the close of the playtest.)

aramis erak

Legend
Sure, but that one is mathematically a little different if someone is fussy.
I'm not saying optional rule; several flavors of FATE specify their dice roll as d6-d6, never even mentioning fudge/fate dice. They're older - at least 5 years... once fate took off, fate branded df became suddenly a thing. So, for those flavors, fussy doesn't really matter.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm not saying optional rule; several flavors of FATE specify their dice roll as d6-d6, never even mentioning fudge/fate dice. They're older - at least 5 years... once fate took off, fate branded df became suddenly a thing. So, for those flavors, fussy doesn't really matter.

You obviously have not been around some of the FATE fans I have. :) If they hit a FATE game that didn't use FATE dice, they'd immediately make it that it does.

Alright, some more thoughts. Multiverse is in the title, but the MCU does not have a multiverse.....yet. The playtest does not even get released until next Spring, so if the MCU information might be part of the RPG, what do we have happening in the movies/Disney+ before the playtest is released? The release of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness on March 25, 2022. I think the timing of the releases of the movie and the playtest are intentional because there won't be a multiverse for the RPG until the movie comes out.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Alright, some more thoughts. Multiverse is in the title, but the MCU does not have a multiverse.....yet. The playtest does not even get released until next Spring, so if the MCU information might be part of the RPG, what do we have happening in the movies/Disney+ before the playtest is released? The release of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness on March 25, 2022. I think the timing of the releases of the movie and the playtest are intentional because there won't be a multiverse for the RPG until the movie comes out.
Marvel comics has had a multiverse for decades, and this is a Marvel Comics RPG...not MCU.

Remove ads

Remove ads