Matching the Campaign to the Right Ruleset

Reynard

Legend
Have you ever had an idea for a campaign and not been sure what game or ruleset to use? Moreover, you have a specific idea of what you want play to be like, not just what the campaign is about, and aren't sure what rules will get you there.

In this thread, let's share some of those ideas and let other posters suggest games, rulesets or even just house rules that can get us there.

Example:
I want to run a conspiracy espionage game of spycraft and anxiety that absolutely does not include gunplay or kung fu or car chases or any of the action stuff that espionage often defaults to because intelligence is BORING. Of course, I don't want the game to be boring. I want players to feel like it could unravel at any moment: they could be found out to be traitors and spies, they couldbe silenced for knowing to much, or otherwise "fail" with no warning. But the job is so important they must risk everything to get it done. (The plot has to do with proof of extraterrestial technology in the hands of governments, but it isn't a sci-fi thriller.)

What game should I use to get there?

What campaign idea do you have that you need to pair with a ruleset?

Aldarc

Legend
Have you ever had an idea for a campaign and not been sure what game or ruleset to use? Moreover, you have a specific idea of what you want play to be like, not just what the campaign is about, and aren't sure what rules will get you there.

In this thread, let's share some of those ideas and let other posters suggest games, rulesets or even just house rules that can get us there.

Example:
I want to run a conspiracy espionage game of spycraft and anxiety that absolutely does not include gunplay or kung fu or car chases or any of the action stuff that espionage often defaults to because intelligence is BORING. Of course, I don't want the game to be boring. I want players to feel like it could unravel at any moment: they could be found out to be traitors and spies, they couldbe silenced for knowing to much, or otherwise "fail" with no warning. But the job is so important they must risk everything to get it done. (The plot has to do with proof of extraterrestial technology in the hands of governments, but it isn't a sci-fi thriller.)

What game should I use to get there?

What campaign idea do you have that you need to pair with a ruleset?
D&D 5e!

Schitts Creek Lol GIF by CBC

Aldarc

Legend
I'm still mulling over your campaign idea, Reynard. I have several ideas, but I need to do my own research.

In another thread, I described my "supernatural investigation society set in 1840s Vienna" as my white whale. Part of the reason for that has been this very issue. I have been kicking around Fate, Cortex, Gumshoe, Vaesen, Monster of the Week, and a few other systems for this project. I'm still not sure. I would need to play some of these systems more thoroughly before I could figure out which one would work best.

Reynard

Legend
I'm still mulling over your campaign idea, Reynard. I have several ideas, but I need to do my own research.

In another thread, I described my "supernatural investigation society set in 1840s Vienna" as my white whale. Part of the reason for that has been this very issue. I have been kicking around Fate, Cortex, Gumshoe, Vaesen, Monster of the Week, and a few other systems for this project. I'm still not sure. I would need to play some of these systems more thoroughly before I could figure out which one would work best.
What do the supernatural investigators actually do? Are they sleuths? Monster hunters? Exorcists? Is it a game about action, investigation, horror, or something else? I honestly don't think you can pick a system before you identify the play loop.

Aldarc

Legend
What do the supernatural investigators actually do? Are they sleuths? Monster hunters? Exorcists? Is it a game about action, investigation, horror, or something else? I honestly don't think you can pick a system before you identify the play loop.
I agree. Tied to that is also the question of what my players themselves would prefer to do.

aco175

Legend
My group may be the other way around. We always know we are playing 5e, so the campaign gets fit to that system. If I am the DM, it is 5e. There could be some modifications to fit a pirate theme or a primitive dinosaurs theme, but the system would be modified.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Reynard, what you’ve got there, I think, is some great Night’s Black Agents fodder, using it’s built-in support for Le Carre ambience.

Remove ads