• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Math behind PC defenses and to hit VS monsters ?

Silverwave

First Post
You've assumed that the character starts with an odd ability score in making this chart. This means that he gets bonuses to hit faster- with an even starting score a lot of these numbers would be 1 higher required to hit.

Not if his even number is 18 :p

But yes, I've made the math from optimized characters... because, yes, sadly, 4e requires to optimise your character to keep in the curve. And there goes out the windows RP or skill oriented characters. :-S

Silverwave

First Post
That's what I aim to do, too .. only I do it through character optimisation.
:p

The problem with character optimization is... well it's kinda munchkinism but under disguise of another word.

That lead the players who focus on RP or skills or other things than ONLY combat to be WELL under the curve and mostly unable to keep up in battles.

Danceofmasks

First Post
That lead the players who focus on RP or skills or other things than ONLY combat to be WELL under the curve and mostly unable to keep up in battles.

Charop = doing everything better

For example, 20/16 dex/wis ranger has crucial advice ... picking up skill training in insight is awesome out of combat ... and if it just so happens to be a side-effect of an MC feat, even better.

Half Elf Valorous Bard is a top tier leader in combat ... but is also very scary in negotiations.

Int-based characters can usually (with creative application of knowledge) steamroll through skill challenges with one int-based skill or another.

Characters aren't pie charts, where a bigger chunk of one thing means a smaller chunk of something else.
The very definition of optimisation = getting a bigger total bonus than others.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads