May previews

There was a podcast somewhere that mentioned something along the lines that the 9 alignments were still there, and that "neutral" was different from being "unaligned".

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Kobold Avenger said:
There was a podcast somewhere that mentioned something along the lines that the 9 alignments were still there, and that "neutral" was different from being "unaligned".
I'd heard somewhere that this changed. I couldn't tell you where, though, so I don't know how old it is.

That One Guy

First Post
I think I liked just about everything from today's update. Crunchy and fluffy, just the way I like it. The warlord's stuff grew on me after a moment (also, a level 1 warlord can be run!). I really like the orcs, they seem like a decent challenge for higher level heroic characters. The traps really sound interesting. I think a lot can be made up and used based on the stuff given and it makes me awfully happy in a special warm and happy place.

But really, I now read updates for selfish reasons - what can I put in my pre-4e game next session?

DJCupboard

Explorer
RE: Soul Gem Trap DCs

I understood it to mean that the perception (or whatever it is called) DC is to notice the pillar with the gem is a trap. The follow up arcana DC is to notice it is a Soul Gem trap, and all that entails.

Kurotowa

Legend
raven_dark64 said:
It attacks as a reaction, not an interrupt. So you can move through the area and, unless you are really slow, it won't burst until after you have cleared the area. Even slow creatures could run through it (a 4-square speed creature can run 12 squares in a round, easily avoiding multiple flame jet traps). :rolleyes:

After the first round it starts bursting on initiative, which means the PCs only have to watch it, get the timing down, and then move through it with ease.

Exactly! How many times in books and movies have the heroes had to get past the jets of flame (or swinging blades, or crushing blocks) by judging the timing and carefully moving through? It's a staple of the genre.

And remember, traps are now elements of larger encounters. So you've got jets of flame going off while the goblin picadors try to drag people into their path. Or the jets are along a narrow path above a deep crevasse, and as the party moves across a section of the path crumbles out from under them (a second trap type). Now the PCs have to scramble to save their friends from falling to their doom while the flames burst around then. Then after that the people who were in the back have to figure out how to safely jump the new gap and avoid the jets.

So, as cliche as it is, I call "feature not a bug" on this one.

Remove ads