• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mazes And Monsters

Have you read/seen it and did you like it?

• I read it.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • I saw it.

Votes: 39 70.9%
  • I liked it.

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • I hated it.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • It was alright.

Votes: 20 36.4%

Gorilla726

First Post
Have you seen it? Have you read the book? Did you like either one? Why or why not? :-D

I saw the movie when I was quite a bit younger on TV. Years later I bought it on eBay. I loved it all over again. I found the book at a book sale at the library for a quarter. I bought it and read, and I loved it!

What do you think?

Gorilla

Cymex666

First Post
I saw that movie when it was first released (now I feel old) and I remember thinking that I was already under the stigma of being gamer geek. Along comes this movie, and all of a sudden I have the school's psychologist trying to council me thinking that I might commit suicide. Life was hard enough in junior high without that movie characterizing my favorite pastime as something psychotic individuals or satanists reveled in.

In other words, I didn't care too much for this movie. :mad:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
I remember thinking it was alright, in fact I believe my 7-year old self rather liked it when I saw it on TV. Of course, that was then, and I'm sure I'd find it laughably horrible now.

Of course, it also had the opposite effect on me, and got me more into Dungeons and Dragons rather than scaring me off.

Gorilla726

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
I remember thinking it was alright, in fact I believe my 7-year old self rather liked it when I saw it on TV. Of course, that was then, and I'm sure I'd find it laughably horrible now.

Of course, it also had the opposite effect on me, and got me more into Dungeons and Dragons rather than scaring me off.

Yeah! My parents had been telling me that D&D was evil. I saw the movie, I wanted to play it all the more!

Gorilla

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
Saw it then read the book. Didn't have any effect on my life (parents had already realized it was a harmless hobby and don't ever remember any great outcry against the game in my area), and the only opinion I can remember having at the time about either one was "hey, it's got that guy from Busom Buddies in it".

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Read it, hated it. The Catholic priest who was in our game (playing a cleric, go figure...) thought it was one of the funniest things he'd ever read.

The Auld Grump

Ashwyn

First Post
I saw it, and I liked it. To me, it never seemed like anit-D&D, it just seemed like a movie about someone who was sick and needed help. I think that like most movies, people take from it what they want to.

diaglo

Adventurer
i took my copy of the VHS to Gen Con Indy with me last year to play for some friends.

i couldn't find a VCR anywhere.

Ghostknight

First Post
I read the book when it was first released in the early eighties (or rather it was given to me to read by my concerned mother). I enjoyed the book, but found the blaming of RPG's for the person's behaviour to be far fetched. My mother insisted on discussing the book (after all it was based on reality, right?), and I got to point out that ONE character in the book, wth major problems, got carried away, and then had to explain the difference between RPG's and LARPs (didn;t use that terminology, but you get the idea).

Heh, it ended up actually helping me to convince my mother that it was a good game!

Remove ads