D&D 5E MCDM 5e Psionicist “The Talent” open play test is live!

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
Like others here, I'm very much in the "don't want to touch this in the current form because just thinking of wrangling with Strain both as a player and as a DM gives me conniptions" camp. Add on top the "it's totally not magic guys -wink wink-" vibe where they have to, multiple times, clarify that this not-magic gets all of the good things of magic like ignoring non-magical resistances but none of the bad things of magic like adhering to counterspell or anti-magic zones and I just...

I love MCDM's products. I loved playing an Illrigger in Curse of Strahd, I'm playing a Beastheart right now, Arcadia is a monthly bright point in my routine. This is so far outside of what I want. Hope others like it, at least.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Strain was the problematic area that stood out to me as well, which I noted in my feedback.

I think if they consolidated the three tracks into a single limit (max strain = level + 3) that would be a good start.

Additionally, I think they ought to reduce the number of penalties. Potentially tracking 20+ debuffs just from the class (on top of potentially other debuffs that have been inflicted on the character) is just not going to be fun for almost anyone. Maybe one penalty at 1st strain, one at half, and one at max strain. Three penalties total is manageable even if you have debuffs from other sources. Change the track penalties into a bullet pointed list the players can pick from (or just consolidate them down to the 3 thematically best ones).

I think it would be even more interesting if the strain penalties came with benefits. Maybe as you gain strain your powers become stronger, but harder to control. Something that actually encourages the player to sometimes want to take on strain, rather than avoiding it like the plague. (IMO, designing a mechanic that the player wants to utterly avoid engaging with is not good design.)

Additionally, I recommended that, rather than taking you to 0 HP, going over max strain renders the character unconscious. With the rules as is, the dropping to zero penalty just encourages healing word yoyoing. Whereas unconsciousness is not so easily remedied, and is more commonly associated with psychics in stories.

Weiley31

Legend
I'm not exactly fond of the whole Strain thing myself. I get it's a pop culture aspect of "having Psychic Powers" where there is always a VERY good possibility of frying your own brain. And once again, there a die involved with using said powers. (which I always loved for 5E anyway.)

Faolyn

(she/her)
Honestly... I sincerely dislike this class.

Firstly, of course, it's Psionic Powers are individually discrete spells that you learn and cast same as any other character.
Plus, unlike the wizard, you can only get new ones when you level up or can see another Talent use the power, at which point you can attempt to learn the power as well.

If Talent are rare, then it would be equally rare to find one to learn a power from. And if the Talent isn't friendly, then you give up your reaction to attempt to learn the power, which isn't necessarily a smart use of your actions. Wizards can buy a spell scroll or borrow or steal a spellbook, or pull one off a corpse, and they automatically can add the spell to their own book, without failure or expenditure of except of some cash and the time than it takes to transcribe it. Even the weakest psionic power in this system takes more time to learn than it takes for the highest-level spell to be transcribed, and as much as I like the "chance to learn spell" roll from earlier editions and wish it were still part of the game, it's not.

But because Talents can also gain powers from taking them, then they aren't a Spells Known kind of caster either. It's a weird mish-mash of ideas here.

Second, building a class from the ground up to nerf itself back into the ground is not a good design for 5e. When a Wizard runs out of spell slots he can still make decent skill checks and not die from using too much magic. The same cannot be said of this class.
Definitely agree. This would probably work OK if all casters had to make some sort of check to cast spells and/or had to deal with possible backlash. As it is, only the wild mage ever suffers from any sort of backlash, most of which is either instantaneous or lasts 1 minute, and a lot of the time, is fairly benign. Here, strain lasts until you finish a long rest or spend some of a limited resource during a short rest on removing it. And, as you point out, it can kill you.

It's made worse by Strain being used to perform other effects. At 3rd level, I can charm a target for 1 minute by gaining two Strain (I keep wanting to say spending two Strain). Awesome. But at 3rd level, I have a grand total of five Strain. Meanwhile almost every other caster has been able to do the same thing for two levels already, and they don't risk dying (except at the hands of targets who don't like being magically ensorcelled). Plus the other classes that can cast charm person can do so up to four times per day by third level, whereas the Talent can do it once, spend most or all of their Hit Dice on removing Strain, and can try a second time--assuming they don't fail some of their casting rolls. Which, again, no other caster has to deal with.

===

Now, I did take a look at the revised edition, which seems to be mostly a lateral move to me. They've changed it so that there's levels of being tired/fatigued/weary, which feels out of order to me, and puts into mind that OOTS strip where Haley (IIRC) couldn't remember if fatigue or exhaustion was worse. You can still die from Strain, still have to spend HD to remove it during a short rest, and still have to gain/spend Strain to perform other actions.

I don't really feel like being able to have multiple powers active at once, or being able to use powers as often as you want, is enough of a trade-off. It's a class that's going to range from probably OP to literally can kill you, depending entirely on how well you roll.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
So the big changes are as follows:

1) Strain is now a single track.
2) Rather than having a complicated list, there are 4 markers on the Strain track: Tired, Fatigued, Weary, Dead.
3) Added a table of Cosmetic Effects.

Tired is Disadvantage on Str/Dex checks
Fatigued is half movement speed. (No information on whether Coville though about it sharing a name with an existing mechanic)
Weary is Healing Resistance. Unless you're resting you gain half healing from any source. God Power? I'm too tired to get healed! whines
And then Dead if you exceed your Strain.

But now you can roll on the "Did I get a Nosebleed?" chart. So that totally fixes all the problems.

IncompatibleHandmadeAfricanaugurbuzzard-size_restricted.gif

More seriously... At least he's responded to some of the criticism by making the debuffing way less complicated, way more straightforward, and way less comprehensive.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I should put this out there for full disclosure:

I'm working on my own Psionic class. Once it's done I'll probably release it in a small book and there might be a playtest of it in the coming weeks. So I definitely have some bias against Coville's class, here, because of competition.

But I want to stress that just from a design standpoint, without my own Esper in the mix... I just don't like what he's got, here. Discrete powers as spells, the incredibly narrow naming conventions (Everything is Psychic or Psionic, with one 'Mind', but where's Noetic or Ego or Id or Psyche? Cromulent words are ignored!), Strain-Based Metapsionics like a Sorcerer who hates themself, only two class abilities (Psionic Bastion, Shielded Mind) that don't focus on Strain...

And it's all pretty much built around using your discrete little powers and basically nothing else. No Psychometry (Unless you Strain yourself) so you can walk into a room and feel something -terrible- happened here, years ago. No Telepathy except as a Power that Strains...

It's kinda frustrating. There's so much more to being a Psionic character than having access to Psionic Powers. But the focus on trying to make Psions into "Wizards, but with a different casting mechanic" results in something that doesn't really -feel- like a Psychic character, to me.

Being a psychic character is more than bleeding from the nose because you're using your powers really hard. And the Talent doesn't seem to know that.

Last edited:

Remove ads