• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mearls' Latest Thought on the Industry

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I must say that i find this thread rather depressing for the future of RPGs...

I have nothing against PDFs. I have bought many of them and, for instance, I have several from Ronin Arts and they are top notch products that I really enjoy...

However it seems to me that we might be heading to a not to distant future in which the bulk of RPG release might be PDF. I like PDF for short, "auxiliary" products, but not for the main books in a RPG line.

If that's were the money (or actually the chance of survival) is, I don't fault the producers for moving in that direction, but I still find it rather depressing... :(

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Nikosandros said:
If that's were the money (or actually the chance of survival) is, I don't fault the producers for moving in that direction, but I still find it rather depressing... :(

There will still be some print products available, but I think most of the smaller companies will be selling direct. (I know we have been already . . . and several others do.)

Financially it just makes more sense for small publishers to release PDFs.

pogre

Legend
First, I like PDFs.

Second, I was pointing out that selling ideas instead of freely exchanging them is not helpful to an open source movement. I never claimed WOTC was particularly helpful in supporting their own "open source movement."

Third, I think MerricB is absolutely correct. The folks at WOTC do not care about the open source movement.

Fourth, it's clear to me 4th edition will not have any SRD style release. The OGL and SRD have not served WOTC in the ways they were anticipating/hoping - at least at the present time.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
pogre said:
Fourth, it's clear to me 4th edition will not have any SRD style release. The OGL and SRD have not served WOTC in the ways they were anticipating/hoping - at least at the present time.

I've been saying that for months now. :) I'll be very surprised if 4e is released under the OGL.

Yair

Community Supporter
WizarDru said:
In the context of this conversation, when they are refering to a OGC Wiki, they are talking about the idea of creating a Open Game Content Wiki, where different publishers could essentially aggregate their open-content into a centralized database for ease of use by the community. How feasible this would be is left as an exercise to the reader.
And on a slight hijack, an offshoot of the OGC Wiki idea led to the creation of an Open Campaign Wiki, which is slowly taking up shape. (Link at my signature, below.) You're welcome to browse (and edit!) it.

HinterWelt

First Post
Nikosandros said:
I must say that i find this thread rather depressing for the future of RPGs...

I have nothing against PDFs. I have bought many of them and, for instance, I have several from Ronin Arts and they are top notch products that I really enjoy...

However it seems to me that we might be heading to a not to distant future in which the bulk of RPG release might be PDF. I like PDF for short, "auxiliary" products, but not for the main books in a RPG line.

You know, actually I think the industry will move to a release in PDF then the products that move will get printed by POD...heck, maybe even the ones that do not move will be printed by POD. We already see this in a primitive form happeningover at RPGNow. In the future, it will be smoother with higher production quality. The problem will be with the contraction of the RPG industry and the casulties of that process. The smart manufacturer has his tail tucked in but has a strong diversity.

Bill

Psion

Adventurer
Kid Charlemagne said:
Sure they could. The license gives them the right to do so, as I understand. I know there is a theory out there that game mechanics cannot be copyrighted, but until someone tests it in court, its just a theory.

It's been tested of court.

Not in the context of OGL (which is more governs the printed material), but it has.

BryonD

Hero
Kid Charlemagne said:
Sure they could. The license gives them the right to do so, as I understand. I know there is a theory out there that game mechanics cannot be copyrighted, but until someone tests it in court, its just a theory. The OGL was a way to allow people to get in on the D&D market without WoTC giving up any legal rights to the D&D brand.

The folks saying WoTC can't do anything may be right, but they'd have to outspend Hasbro's legal department to prove it.

And as for the question of what has WoTC done to support OGL/d20? They created the license. I don't see that they need to do much more.
Sorry, didn't see your post until Psion replied to it.

Two different arguements here:
1) I still think it wouldn't go down as you predict. If someone stayed strictly within the OGL, they would have a very strong and simple case. Can a massive corporate legal team undo that? Perhaps. But perhaps not. First of all, I think you vastly over-rate Hasbro's eagerness to throw their legal resources at something like this. You start throwing around Elminster and Mind-Flayers and they'll kick your butt. But Power Locations? Please, these guys spend more time planning lunch than they would worring about that.

2) I DO think that 3rd party publishers are going to stay out of the sleeping bear's cave. Like I said before, it is a big difference between locked and having a "please stay off" sign. But if everyone is afraid to walk past the sign, then the reality will trump legal precision.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Ah yes, the obligatory "PDF PUBLISHERS ARE TEH EVUL AND RUINING D&D" statement.

With distributors and retailers closing the door, ceasing to carry print products not done by WotC, and now the "WoW IS GOING TO KILL D&D" scare, it's all the PDF publishers fault, of course.

PDF is supposedly killing innovation, but cruising The Edge and RPGNow, I see a lot of interesting and probably innovative products. Christmas has emptied my wallet into Santa's bag, or I'd have picked up a lot this time.

I'd say WotC is more a culprit than 3rd Party publishers. Emails requesting permissions are going unanswered, little to no OGC has been released, and the SRD hasn't been updated in awhile as far as I know.

Follow that with support for it's own products, and I'd say it was WotC that has dropped the ball.

How many people have bought d20 Modern or d20 Future products because of something a 3rd party publisher out? Those two lines are almost wholly carried by the 3rd Party community.

There's plenty of modules, sourcebooks, etc, for free and for pay, for d20 Modern and d20 Future out there, but how many have the WotC logo on them? WotC has put out, what, a dozen support products all together for both lines?

So I'd say that it isn't so much PDF publishers who are to blame, but WotC not carrying thier weight in the OGC arena.

Now let's look at emerging technology.

With wireless broadband getting more and more accessable, and hand held's becoming smaller and smaller, how long until something that is about the size of the DMG is out that you can view a PDF document on that has broadband and printer features? Five years? Ten years? Six months?

Mike Mearls shows the amazing lack of touch with the audience and consumer base both, as well as a propensity to cry wolf.

TSR stifled creativity with it's Cease & Desist orders against websites, forums, chat groups, etc.

PDF Publishers actually encourage creativity. Most publishers will look at your manuscript, probably even give you advice about it. Go ahead and email your manuscript, unsolicited, to WotC and see how much you get from that.

Publishers allow product interlinking, allow freelancers to try thier hands at designing stuff for existing lines, and will offer advice, constructive criticism.

Sorry, but this sounds more along the lines of "Third party publishers are TEH EVUL!" than anything actually grounded in reality.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
philreed said:
Any wealthy software developers that want to sponsor a game designer to create custom material for their home games can feel free to contact me. :)

Hey, that was my idea, thief! :) That's the last time I have lunch with you!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads