D&D 1E Mearls on AD&D 1E

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't know why anyone cares that the thread was necro'd. I'd much rather see continuation of previous conversations that have gone over much of the finer points already than the absolute ridiculousness of that stupid Greater Invisibility stealth thread that has basically just rehashed the same exact BS that everyone has argued for thousands of pages over dozens of threads already over the last 5 years. :)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think that poster is still active, so if there’s a way to tag users in a thread he could respond..,,
I believe you get notified when one of your posts gets quoted, so if they’re still around they probably saw that I quoted them. It’s super not important though, I wouldn’t have said anything if I had bothered to check the post dates.

It occurs to me that, perhaps, 1e is better structured for dungeon crawls than 3rd or later editions. I'm not saying that's good or bad - but it's certainly a thing.

To elaborate: 1e *(as I recall) is about discovery, strategy, and risk. Risk as in pushing your luck, and strategy as in managing long-term resources - but mostly discovery - what's in there, what is that thing, and who is my character?

On the other hand, 4e is about epicness, tactics, and mastery. You mitigate risks by mastering the system, the resource you pay the most attention to is actions, and it's not about learning who/where/what you are, but seeing how far you can go.

5e can do either, of course - but it doesn't do them as well as a more focused system.

Last edited:

You were so close to having my like, but you just had to throw in a jab at 4e.
Against 4e, I'd even follow with a cross, left hook, overhand right, knee to the mid section, elbow to ...
I guess that's enough. ;)
I really gave it a chance, but all this at-will / encounter / daily powers stuff was so made up to get close to the crappy card games, it was horrible. So as soon as Pathfinder came around we checked it and good riddance to 4e forever. The only RPG books I ever sold - and a friend just told me that he recently threw his 4e books away! :oops:

Remove ads